About Culver-Stockton College
In the 1850s, D. Pat Henderson and other Disciples of Christ leaders were interested in creating an institution to educate young men and women. In 1853, the group was granted a charter by the State of Missouri to establish Christian University – the first co-educational college west of the Mississippi River. Classes began in 1855 and Dr. James Shannon became the first president the following year.
During the Civil War, classes were suspended while Union troops occupied the college’s only building, Old Main. After the troops left, the damage to the building made it nearly unsalvageable; however the college and the community banded together to restore the campus. Later in 1903, Old Main was destroyed by a fire and the college built Henderson Hall, which touts the recognizable dome.
The name was changed to Culver-Stockton College in 1917 to honor Robert Stockton and Mary Culver, who supported the institution and played vital roles in its history. The two also made generous donations for residence halls, a new gymnasium and grants for faculty salaries. Not long after the name change, C-SC adopted the Wildcat as its mascot.
The college instituted a 12/3 semester calendar in the fall of 2008, which includes a 12-week semester of classes with a three-week time frame for a single class, internship or Travel Study program. Shortly after the 12/3 calendar was implemented, the travel program was also bolstered by an anonymous $2 million donation. This donation helps students travel domestically and internationally on about 20 trips each year.
Currently, Culver-Stockton’s 140-acre campus is home to nearly 1,000 students, who are involved with community service, athletics, fine art productions and more than 50 other student groups.