Posted by – June 30, 2011
Debbie Harry, during the early Blondie years.
The Chinese government is making a big deal about opening a 26-mile bridge over some huge body of water. That’s like having a bridge between Quincy and Barry . No way you are ever getting me on anything like that. And with that thought, here’s the latest edition of the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1953, the first Chevrolet Corvette was built. We never looked at sports cars quite the same after that.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “I’m not a player, I just text a lot.”
OVERRATED: Trail Mix. (Who invented that?)
UNDERRATED: Chex Mix with just the Chex stuff.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Remember when Debbie Harry would wear those garbage bags on stage during the heyday of Blondie?
– Singer Debbie Harry of Blondie is 66. (Favorite Blondie song? “The Tide Is High.”)
– Former M*A*S*H star Jamie Farr is 77. (He was the cross-dressing “Klinger.”)
– Actor Dan Aykroyd is 59. (He was part of Saturday Night Live when the show was actually funny.)
– Celebrity Pamela Anderson is 44. (She was more or less the first Kim Kardashian.)
Posted by – June 30, 2011
If you are an Ohio State fan, you never ever miss a chance to take a shot at Michigan. Welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1805, the U.S. Congress organized the Michigan Territory. And soon afterward, it began losing football games to Ohio State.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Some kid just spit on my car as I was driving down the street.”
OVERRATED: Falling down in a parking lot surrounded by friends and strangers.
UNDERRATED: Not breaking something — like a bone — when you’re as old as I am and fall down in a parking lot in front of friends and strangers.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: If I had it to do all over again, I’d learn how to swim … well maybe.
– Former Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps is 26. (I can’t swim. Not a lick.)
– Former American idol winner Fantasia Barrino is 27. (Remember when she sang “Summertime?”)
– Former heavyweight boxing champ Mike Tyson is 45. (I still wonder why in the world he got that tattoo.)
– Singer Glenn Shorrock of the Little River Band is 67. (Seriously, did anyone ever actually … ummm, like these guys?)
Posted by – June 28, 2011
(Another early post. Hopefully, this is the last day. The clean-up and utility crews are making great progress following Monday’s near tornado.)
No natural disaster, which included power outages, can thwart the High 5. Welcome to the 647th consecutive day of America’s favorite five minutes:
TODAY: On this day in 1979, Moonraker debuted in the U.S. This was arguably the silliest and most worthless of all the James Bond films. This was during the Roger Moore era of Bond when producers wanted to give our favorite secret agent more of a comic book bent. Bad idea.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Are sea monkeys anything but a child’s first harsh lesson in advertising betrayal?”
OVERRATED: Checking the Ameren site every five minutes for an update on when your power will be restored.
UNDERRATED: Being able to flip a light switch and there actually be light.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Gary Busey has always kind of reminded me of Nick Nolte …
– Actor Gary Busey is 67. (I just watched him the other night in Predator.)
– In memoriam: MLB Hall of Fame slugger Harmon Killebrew would have been 75. (R.I.P., Gentle Giant.)
– Singer Nicole Scherzinger of Pussycat Dolls is 33. (Look for her X Factor in the fall.)
– Rapper DJ Shadow is 39. (Yeah, I have absolutely no idea who this is.)
Posted by – June 27, 2011
(We’re posting early because I have access to a computer at the moment … hopefully, things will be back to normal in a day or so.)
If you live in or around Quincy, Ill., you know what Monday brought — a tornado-like wind storm that has left much of the city a battle zone. Thank heaven for the High 5, right?:
TODAY: On this day in 1997, Mike Tyson bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s right ear during a heavyweight boxing match. And that’s how we’ll remember Iron Mike. What a shame.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Thank You Mother Nature.” (That’s it, maker Her even madder.)
OVERRATED: Losing your power for multiple days following the latest storm of the century in Quincy, Ill.
UNDERRATED: No showers, no baths, frozen food melting and spoiling, no Internet … you get the idea.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Blazing Saddles, now that‘s a guy movie …
– Comedian-movie director Mel Brooks is 85.(He gave us Blazing Saddles. We’ll be indebted forever.)
– Actress Kathy Bates is 63. (Misery loves company.)
– College and Pro Football Hall of Famer John Elway is 51. (If you’re a Browns fan, this is public enemy No. 1.)
– Actor John Cusack is 45. (Favorite John Cusack flick? “Serendipity,” or may “Say Anything.”)
Posted by – June 26, 2011
For those who thought vampires only became cool in the last few years, think again … welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1966, the sci-fi soap opera Dark Shadows premiered on ABC. It was the Twilight of its time.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Today the only people who know how to keep a secret are abused spouses and dogs.”
OVERRATED: Ashlee Simpson.
UNDERRATED: Homer Simpson.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Favorite Lorrie Morgan song? Aw heck, there are too many to list …
– Country singer Lorrie Morgan is 52. (I have secretly been in love with her for almost 30 years.)
– Actress Julia Duffy is 60. (She was the ditzy, but lovable blonde on Newhart.)
– Actor Tobey Maguire is 36. (Have you seen any of the Spiderman flicks? Ifso, you’ve seen Tobey.)
– Celebrity Khloe Kardashian is 27. (She may be beautiful, but she’s no Kim Kardashian.)
Posted by – June 25, 2011
The Lone Ranger, left, and Tonto.
Just when you think it won’t — or can’t — rain any more … it does. Oh well, cheer up. You always have the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1977, Elvis Presley performed in concert in Indianapolis. it would be the last of his career.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Life’s Hard. Get a helmet.”
OVERRATED: Potato skins. (They are terrible at most restaurants, not to mention way overpriced.)
UNDERRATED: Frozen potato chips. (In particular, Lay’s Classic.)
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Favorite Fifth Dimension song? Either “Aquarius” or “Go Where You Wanna Go.”
– Singer Billy Davis Jr. of the Fifth Dimension is 71. (He’s been married to singing partner Marilyn McCoo for 42 years.)
– Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is 37. (Six hits away from 3,000 for his career.)
– Singer Terri Nunn of Berlin is 50. (And she still takes your breath away.)
– In memoriam: Actor Jay Silverheels would have been 99 today. (He played “Tonto” on The Lone Ranger. He died in 1980.)
Posted by – June 24, 2011
What did people wear before tennis shoes? Ponder that as you ponder this edition of the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1947, the “tennis shoe” was introduced. Otherwise, we might never have lived through the Air Jordan era .
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Why do we turn down the radio in the car when we think we smell something?”
OVERRATED: Crispin Glover. (Hollywood nutball)
UNDERRATED: Crispian St. Peters. (He sang “Pied Piper” in 1966.)
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Remember when Phyllis George and Jimmy the Greek were CBS sports regulars?
– Singer Carly Simon is 66. (Did she ever admit “You’re So Vain” was about Warren Beatty, or not?)
– Singer George Michael is 48. (Wake me up before you go-go.)
– Former CBS sports personailty Phyllis George is 62. (Without Phyllis George, we would have never seen Suzy Kolber.)
– Actress June Lockhart is 86. (She will always be known first and foremost as Timmy’s mom on Lassie.)
Posted by – June 23, 2011
Two things: 1. Christian Bale is the best of the Batmen, 2. Welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1989, director Tim Burton’s spin on the well-known story of the DC Comics hero Batman is released in theaters. Michael Keaton starred in the film as the multimillionaire Bruce Wayne, who has transformed himself into the crime-fighting Batman after witnessing his parents’ brutal murder as a child. (Seriously, could there have been a worse choice for that original Batman than Michael Keaton?)
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Sometimes you just gotta get a big hammer and beat the hell out of it!’
OVERRATED: Cesar Izturis.
UNDERRATED: Crazy Bread at Little Caesar’s.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: I know I mention this quite often, but I find it so strange that so many of the former rock icons are now approaching — or past — the 70-year-old milestone.)
– Hall of Fame guitarist Jeff Beck is 67. (Have you ever seen the “People Get Ready” video that Beck appears in? Classic.)
– Hall of Fame drummer Mick Fleetwood is 69. (I always thought Mick Fleetwood could be Pete Townshend’s brother.)
– Soccer superstar Lionel Messi is 24. (He’s the Rod Stewart of soccer.)
– NBA player J.J.Reddick is 27. (Another of those overrated ex-Duke players.)
Posted by – June 22, 2011
David Letterman, circa 1980
I tried watching The Voice again Wednesday night on NBC, and I could only take about 10 minutes of it … it’s just not American Idol. I would, however, like to see Adam Levine become a part of the Idol family … and on that note, welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1980, David Letterman’s morning show debuted on NBC. The rest, as they say, is history.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Feeling like total crapola today.” (That makes two of us.)
OVERRATED: Jason Motte, Cardinals reliever. (Quite a meltdown Tuesday night, eh?)
UNDERRATED: Mott the Hoople, either the comic strip or the 1970s rock band.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Knots Landing, still the best adult soap opera of all-time …
– Actor Ted Shackelford is 66. (He was Gary Ewing on Knots Landing.)
– Singer-songwriter Jason Mraz is 34. (Hopefully, we’ll hear some more of him with Colbie Caillat.)
– Rapper Memphis Bleek is 33. (I have no idea who this is, but his or her name is amazing.)
– Former World Cup soccer star Zinedane Zidane is 39. (Another great name.)
Posted by – June 21, 2011
Let me be perfectly honest. Never in my life have I considered wearing a thong … welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: In 1990, Florida passed a law prohibiting wearing a thong bathing suit. Apparently, no one has paid attention to that ruling.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny.”
OVERRATED: Alabama Crimson Tide.
UNDERRATED: “The Tide Is High,” by Blondie.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: There should be a special place in every sort of music hall of fame for Kris Kristofferson …
– Singer-actor Kris Kristofferson is 75. (“Me and Bobby McGee,” “For the Good Times,” “Help Me Make it Through the Night” and “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down” … need we say more?)
– Actress Meryl Streep is 62. (I always used to confuse her with Glenn Close.)
– Singer Cyndi Lauper is 58. (When you look back at some of her work in the 1980s you realize how far ahead of her time she was.)
– Actor David L. Lander (Squiggy on Laverne and Shirley) is 64. (Geez, I hated that show.)