Posted by – September 29, 2011
Song of the day: “Friday On My Mind” by the Australian-based Easybeats, circa 1967 … welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1982, Cheers began an 11-year run on NBC-TV. Sometimes you just wanna go where everybody knows your name.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Come to find out I’m not really a people person. Not really my fault, and I feel I should gets points for trying.”.
OVERRATED: “Help,” by the Beatles.
UNDERRATED: “Help Me Rhonda,” by the Beach Boys.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: How would you place the Quaid (Dennis, Randy) brothers in the overrated/underrated department?
– Singer Marilyn McCoo is 68. (The former member of the Fifth Dimension and host of Solid Gold has been married to Billy Davis Jr. for more than 40 years. Who says show biz marriages don’t last?)
– Saxophonist Jerry Martini of Sly and the Family Stone is 68. (Did you see the story earlier this week that Sly is homeless and living out of a van?)
– Actor Randy Quaid is 61. (Favorite Randy Quaid role? “Cousin Eddie” in the Vacation movies.)
– Pianist Roger Williams is 87. (He had a top-10 pop hit in 1967 with “Born Free.”)
Posted by – September 28, 2011
Tom Brady has been voted the “best hair” in the NFL by some organization. I was once voted most likely to eat — a lot … on that note, welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1989, Bruce Springsteen stopped in a small salon in Prescott, Ariz., and played a few songs with the band. He overheard a woman talking about financial problems concerning her medical bills. A week later she received a check for $100,000 from Springsteen. (And this is why we love The Boss.)
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “I found my fifth gray hair today.”
OVERRATED: L.A. Angels of Anaheim.
UNDERRATED: L.A. Reid of X Factor.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Favorite Iron Butterfly song? Seriously, I didn’t know there was more than one.
– Former child actor Ken Weatherwax is 56. (He was pugsley on The Addams Family.)
– Comedian Andrew “Dice” Clay is 54. (Eric Ervin’s favorite.)
– TV personality Bryant Gumbel is 63. (Who would have ever thought Greg Gumbel would become the biggest star of that family.)
– Guitarist Mike Pinera of Iron Butterfly is 63. (In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby.)
Posted by – September 27, 2011
Come on, let’s hear it for consecutive day 739 of the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1973, the Rolling Stones appeared on U.S. television for the first time in six years. (Seriously, the Stones have been performing for almost as many years as I am old — and I am old.)
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Of all the people I know, you’re one of them.”
OVERRATED: Ozzy Osbourne.
UNDERRATED: Ozzie Guillen.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: I still remember the night the Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show, and how much my dad complained about their long hair …
– Pussycat Dolls singer Melody Thornton is 27. (I wonder how good of friends she is with Nicole Scherzinger?)
– Actor Jeffrey Jones is 64. (He was the principal in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.)
– In memoriam: TV host Ed Sullivan would have been 110. (If not for him, America may have never been introduced to the Beatles or Rolling Stones.)
– Singer Ben E. King. (He’s the “Stand By Me” guy.)
Posted by – September 26, 2011
The Beach Boys perform on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964.
I caught a couple of classic All in the Family episodes Monday night. Almost 40 years later, still an amazing TV show … welcome to today’s High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1964, the Beach Boys appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show for the first time and performed “I Get Around.”
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “I’ll make a great stepmom. I promise.”
OVERRATED: “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.”
UNDERRATED: Dirt-track racing.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Don Cornelius may have had the greatest voice of any TV host in history …
– Producer Don Cornelius is 75. (Who doesn’t remember Soul-l-l-l-l-l Train!)
– Singer-guitarist Randy Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive is 68. (B-b-b-b-b-baby, you just ain’t seen n-n-n-nothin’ yet.)
– Singer-actor Meat Loaf is 64. (Two out of three still ain’t bad.)
– Rapper Lil’ Wayne is 29. (Out of jail and back to work.)
Posted by – September 26, 2011
Hey, where did September go? I see by the calendar that October arrives Saturday. I need a memo on these things … on that note, here’s today’s High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1969, “Abbey Road” was released by the Beatles. It was their last album together as a group. (Probably more so than any other group, the Beatles’ music sounds as fresh today as when it was released.)
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “I would like to take a sick day… because I feel like crap.”
OVERRATED: Minnesota Vikings, Miami Dolphins.
UNDERRATED: Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Favorite Beverly Hillbillies character? Jethro.
– Actress Donna Douglas is 79. (She was Elly May on The Beverly Hillbillies.)
– Actor Kent McCord is 69. (You probably remember him from Adam-12.)
– Country singer Lynn Anderson is 64. (She never promised you a rose gaarden.)
– Singer Olivia Newton-John is 63. (I once had a crush on her for about …30 years.)
Posted by – September 24, 2011
Led Zeppelin, circa 1968. John Bonham is in the rear.
Sunday night is the end of the dirt-track racing season in Quincy. I’ll probably shed a tear on the way home from the track … but for now, let’s just concentrate on the latest edition of the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1980, John “Bonzo” Bonham of Led Zeppelin died of asphyxiation on his own vomit due to consumption of alcohol. The group decided to disband when they determined that their drummer could not be replaced.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Why do I even bother?”
OVERRATED: Penn State football.
UNDERRATED: Ohio State football.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Favorite Michael Douglas film? “Wall Street.”
– Newswoman Barbara Walters is 82. (Give the woman credit. I hope I’m half as active at age 82 as she is.)
– Actor Michael Douglas is 67. (Remember him on The Streets of San Francisco with Karl Laden?)
– Model Cheryl Tiegs is 64. (She’s no Cheryl Stack.)
– Actor Anson Williams is 62. (How would you like to have gone through your entire adult life referred to as “Potsy?”)
Posted by – September 23, 2011
Have you been watching X Factor? It’s much, much better than I expected, but more about that at a later date … have a good weekend and welcome to the daily High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1998, Steven Tyler threw out the first pitch of the Cardinals-Expos game at the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Tyler, fronting Aerosmith at the time, was 13 years away from his American Idol gig.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and a unforgettable love.”
OVERRATED: Paula Abdul, Nicole Scherzinger.
UNDERRATED: Simon Cowell, L.A. Reid.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Gerry and the Pacemakers were involved in the early part of the British Invasion of the mid-1960s and kind of got lost in the shuffle later on, but they left us with some classics …
– Singer Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers is 69. (Favorite Gerry and the Pacemakers song? “Girl On A Swing.”)
– News anchor Lou Dobbs is 66. (I would like to see an accurate figure on many times his hair color has changed in his career.)
– Actor Kevin Sorbo is 53. (You probably remember him as Hercules.)
– In memoriam: Muppets creator Jim Henson would have been 75. (He died in 1990.)
Posted by – September 22, 2011
Day 734 on the High 5 marathon continues … welcome aboard:
TODAY: On this day in 1969, it was reported by The London Daily Mirror that Paul McCartney was dead. It was the first time the rumor was printed. Fortunately, 42 years later Paul is still with us.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “I’m up to my elbows in snot, fever and fussy baby today.”
OVERRATED: Tom T. Hall.
UNDERRATED: Angus T. Jones.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: I thought “George” was older than 52 …
– Singer Julio Iglesias is 68. (Remember when he and Willie Nelson teamed up for a duet?)
– Actress Mary Kay Place is 64. (Another Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman graduate.)
– Singer Bruce Springsteen is 62. (And he’s still going strong.)
– Actor Jason Alexander is 52. (You can make the case he was the MVP of Seinfeld.)
Posted by – September 22, 2011
Tawny Kitaen, David Coverdale ... during the heyday of Whitesnake.
There’s a very good point made in today’s “Found on Facebook” feature … especially if you are a dad with three daughters. As always, welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1965, The Who began a short tour in Scandinavia. Roger Daltrey punched Keith Moon during the event. And this is why we have always loved The Who.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “Bad girls are highly overrated. You already know what they’re gonna do. It’s the good ones that should worry you.”
OVERRATED: Keith Moon.
UNDERRATED: Wally Moon.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Who was the girl that made some of those Whitesnake videos so famous? If you answered Tawny Kitaen, you were correct.
– Singer David Coverdale of Whitesnake and Deep Purple is 60. (Robert Plant once referred to him as David Cover Version.)
– Actress Shari Belafonte is 57. (Still one of the most beautiful women in the world.)
– Singer Debby Boone is 55. (Go ahead and admit it. She still lights up for your life.)
– Country singer June Forester of The Forester Sisters is 55. (The Forresters were one of the most underrated country groups of the 1980s.)
Posted by – September 20, 2011
One of these guys is Karl.
Favorite Bangles song? “Eternal Flame” … welcome to the High 5:
TODAY: On this day in 1989, the Bangles broke up. Life, as we know it, has never been the same.
FOUND ON FACEBOOK: “They got bacon? Not the yucky limp kind either. The good stuff.”
OVERRATED: The Big East.
UNDERRATED: The Big Easy.
BIRTHDAY BANTER: Dallas will always be No. 2 behind Knots Landing …
– Actor Karl Slover is 93. (He was a munchkin in The Wizard of Oz)
– Actor Larry Hagman is 80. (He’ll be forever remembered as “J.R.” on Dallas.)
– Author Stephen King is 64. (I have never read one of his books.)
– Actor-comedian Bill Murray is 61. (He was still his funniest on Saturday Night Live.)