1. It has been a great year for American Idol. The Season 12 champ is crowned Thursday night. Put your money on Candice Glover.
2. Is it college football season yet?
3. I either need shirts with longer tails or to lose about 50 pounds. Looks like another trip to Casual Male Big and Tall.
4. The best pizza combination remains mushroom and pepperoni.
5. The best kind of pizza dough is the hand-tossed. The most overrated is thin crust.
1. Weatherman said me may hit 90 degrees Tuesday. I may need to take my shirt off and soak in some rays. There are parts of me that have not seen the sunshine for more than 50 years.
2. For those of you who gel pen junkies, I recommend trying the new Energel Pearl models.
3. Did you read where The Walking Dead attracts more viewers in the 18-49 age bracket than any other show on television?
4. Steph Curry is the most exciting player in the NBA. Sorry, LeBron James.
5. The Little Woman is bit upset these days. It seems about a half dozen of her favorite shows have been canceled. “It’s very simple, honey,” I said. “You watch stupid shows.”
1. I wonder why Monday the 13th is not considered unlucky like Friday the 13th?
2. I just love to say “Asdrubal Cabrera.”
3. I weighed 175 pounds when I graduated from high school. I weigh a lot more now, but the bright side is I’ve only gained an average of 3.05 pound a year since graduating.
4. I wish Terry Francona was my neighbor.
5. Urban Meyer, too.
1. Hope all the moms out there are having a great day. They deserve it.
2. Looking forward to an exciting of dirt-track racing at Quincy Raceways. Nothing says Mother’s Day more than a night of slingin’ mud.
3. Has anyone noticed how hot the Cleveland Indians have been? America’s favorite baseball team had won 12 of its last 14 going into Sunday’s action at Detroit.
4. I think I could eat breakfast-type food three meals a day.
5. Or four.
1. The Little Woman and I had a tremendous meal tonight at Ruby Tuesday’s. I had bacon-wrapped shrimp, ribs, baked potato and steamed broccoli. On a scale of 1 to 10, I’d give it an 18. The wife had some sort of fish, but I’m not sure about the rest — I was busy working on those shrimp and ribs.
2. And in case you were wondering, there was no dessert. There was no room.
3. In case you remember the blog note about taking Ashes to the groomer on Friday, it turned out to be much less of a disaster than I anticipated. Getting her there was brutal, but the return trip was much easier. The dog’s a pain in the butt, but I love the old mutt.
4. I just remembered that Sunday is Mother’s Day. Uh-oh. Walmart, here I come.
5. Saturday might be a great day for a milkshake.
1. There is only one acceptable jelly to use on toast: Strawberry.
2. Milk duds are the most apologetic of the boxed candies. (I know, I don’t understand it either. I heard it on Big Bang Theory.)
3. I have to take the family dog, the incredible Ashes, to the groomer on Friday. I’m telling you now, this could be a major disaster.
4. I haven’t seen an Archie comic book since I was about 10 years old.
5. Blue ink or black ink. Your preference?
1. Two-time Rock Hall of Fame inductee Rod Stewart performed Wednesday night on The Voice. Rod is arguably the most gifted singer of our lifetime.
2. Granted, Stewart is kind of shell of his former self when it comes to performance, but at the age of 68 we need to simply appreciate the overall magnitude of his career that began in the late 1960s.
3. In case you had not guessed, this is a special Rod Stewart edition of this blog. My all-time favorite Rod song is probably “I Don’t Want To Talk About It,” especially the live version with Amy Belle from Prince Albert Hall in London.
4. I have seen Rod in concert four times, the best of which came several years ago in St. Louis with my daughter Kaysi. It was one of the highlights of my life.
5. I read in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch a few years ago there is a woman in that city that has an entire house devoted to Rod memorabilia. I have never met that woman, but I know we would be immediate friends.
1. I wish one of the cable networks would show repeats of the old Mary Tyler Moore Show. Murray, Ted, Sue Ann, Phyllis, Rhoda … what a classic supporting cast.
2. I love to say “Hyundai.”
3. A week ago, I asked about Orange Julius, overrated or underrated? I’m convinced it is underrated and I applaud whoever invented the drink.
4. I wonder what my wife is going to do when summer gets here when she is already running the air conditioning, fans (minimum of three all the time) and keeps the windows open at night. Women, you can’t live with them … pass the beer nuts. (Yes, that was a Cheers reference.”
5. If I had ever been talented enough to play in the NFL, I would have wanted to have been a backup quarterback. A nice healthy paycheck and rarely get to play — or hit.
1. I see when the new seasons of Suits and Covert Affairs begin that USA Network is putting them back-to-back on the Tuesday night schedule. Woo-hoo!
2. I don’t know how guys can stand to have beards in the hot weather.
3. Did you ever wonder what we all would wear if blue jeans had not been invented?
4. Maple-frosted doughnuts. Yay or nay?
5. Did you see the film of Toronto Blue Jays pitcher J.A. Happ getting hit in the head with a line drive Tuesday night? Frightening. Very frightening.
1. A week ago, I guaranteed winter was gone — and was wrong. This time, I double-dog guarantee winter is over.
2. You know, if you don’t get the dog poop cleaned up in the backyard before the rain comes and the grass grows like crazy you have a double dose of mess to clean up.
3. Plus, the wife is doubly mad at you.
4. I have eaten fish three consecutive meals. (Well, not counting breakfast.)
5. Have you ever tried shavings of cheddar (another kind) of cheese, sprinkled over potato chips? It’s awesome.