At last, Deery Series to land at Quincy Raceways

April 28, 2008 20 Comments

Finally.

More than two weeks after its original date was rained out, the Deery Brothers Summer Series late model tour will visit Quincy Raceways on Wednesday night.

And the weather report looks — keep your fingers crossed — GREAT! Temperatures in the 70s and no rain. Racing is supposed to start at 7 in what should be an action-packed night. The only support series will be the modifieds, so the kids should get home in plenty of time for school the next day.

This will be the 19th time the Deery series has visited Quincy and it always provides some insight to how well the local late models stack up against their regional rivals. Quincy drivers have won seven of the previous 18 events at the Broadway Bullring, six thanks to Mark Burgtorf and one via Lonnie Bailey.

Two-time defending IMCA national champ Darrel DeFrance, 48, of Marshalltown, Iowa, is expected to be hand — as usual. The popular DeFrance has NEVER missed a Deery race since the series inception in 1987.

Fans who have a ticket stub from either April 20 or Sunday night will receive $2 off the admission price.

Those who don’t mind a relatively short road trip to West Burlington, Iowa, can catch the Deery cars there Tuesday night. Racing starts at 7.

SLOWER TIMES

Sunday’s black and slick track provided less grip and it showed in the night’s fast times. The quick laps in all four features were considerably slower than the previous week when a much stickier surface allowed for better handling and higher mph.

Here’s a look at Sunday evening’s top times in each division, with the previous week’s in parentheses:

Late models: Robby Warner, 15.372 seconds, 67.916 mph (Mark Burgtorf, 14.895, 70.091).

Modifieds: Michael Long, 16.446 seconds, 63.480 mph (Long, 14.971, 69.735).

Stock cars: John Oliver Jr., 17.524 seconds, 59.575 mph (Chris Wibbell, 16.997, 61.423).

Hobby stocks: Steve Carlin, 18.187 seconds, 57.404 mph (Jim Powell, 17.427, 59.907).

MISSING IN ACTION

Did you notice two of the track’s biggest names were not on hand Sunday for the first night of points racing? Neither late model driver Mark Burgtorf or modified hotshoe Robbie Reed were in the pits.

Burgtorf’s son, Cale, was playing baseball in Burlington, Iowa, and he was unable to get back in time. Those who were holding out hope that Mark would change his mind and run for another track title can now officially erase those thoughts. He is obviously serious about his plan to concentrate on a regional schedule, and if he is to win a 15th track title, it will come no sooner than 2009.

Burgtorf had also won five straight features in Quincy, dating back to the end of last season.

Reed’s absence was probably a bigger surprise. He won the 2006 track championship and was a strong fourth in 2007. No word why he was not in attendance.

IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT

John Oliver Jr. won his third stock car heat race in as many weeks Sunday night. That kind of start, coupled with the fact Oliver is one of the strongest cars in the class, means he may have a good chance to challenge for the track record for heat victories.

The retired Hank DeLonjay’s 17 heat wins in 2007 stand as the high-water mark. No other driver has come closer than three to that mark since statistics started being kept at the .29-mile track in 1999.

Season heat-race victory leaders:

2007: Michael Long, 13, modified.
2006: Hank DeLonjay, 17, modified.
2005: Eddie Dieker, 14, bomber.
2004: Wyatt Lantz, 11, "B" modified; Adam Birck, 11, bomber.
2003: Michael Long, 11, "A" modified.
2002: Adam Birck, 8, bomber.
2001: Rob Carter, 8, "B" modified.
2000: Eddie Dieker, 8, bomber.
1999: Bruce Hatfield, 9, bomber.

Here are the heat-race points leaders following Sunday night:

Late models: Justin Reed 3, Lonnie Bailey 3, Joey Gower 3, Denny Woodworth, 2, Dustin Neese, 2, Dustin Griffin 2, Robby Warne 1, Ron Elbe 1, Jason Frankel 1.

Modifieds: Jeff Waterman 3, Michael Long 3, Tony Dunker 3, Wyatt Lantz 2, Ryan Meyer 2, Steven DeLonjay 2, Joe Bliven 1, Bob Woodrow 1, Travis Griffith 1.

Hobby stocks: Steve Carlin 3, Corrie Eifert 3, Bobby Anders 2, James Leffew 2, Chad Cannady 1, Wes Mayfield 1.

HERALD-WHIG PERFORMANCE POINTS

The late models and modifieds will likely see some dramatic swings with the first "special" show on tap Wednesday (Deery Brothers night) when points are 25-20-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 for the feature, 3-2-1 for heats and one point for dashes and any type of consolation.

Late models: Mark Burgtorf 22, Denny Woodworth 15, Joey Gower 12, Robby Warner 10, Keith Pratt 8.

Modifieds: Michael Long 30, Dave Wietholder 16, Joe Bliven 7, Wyatt Lantz 7, Tony Dunker 5.

Stock cars: John Oliver Jr. 17, Abraham Huls 15, Jeff Mueller 12, Chris Wibbell 12, Doug Huls 8.

Hobby stocks: Aaron Brocksieck 21, Steve Carlin 13, Bobby Anders 11, Jim Powell 11, James Leffew 7.

FRANKEL WINS AT 34 RACEWAY

Jason Frankel of Quincy won his first late model feature of the season when he captured the checkers Saturday night at 34 raceway in West Burlington, Iowa. Frankel, the preseason pick to win the title at Quincy, was eighth Sunday night at the Broadway Bullring.

Tom Darbyshire, Matt Ryan, Keith Pratt and Tom Bowling rounded out the top five. Other Quincy regulars who participated included Lonnie Bailey (sixth), Joey Gower (12th) and Clint Kirkham (18th).

EARLY LOOK AT REGIONAL RANKINGS

While the first official "Stevie Dirt Regional Rankings (SDRR)" do not come out until next week, we’re giving blog readers an earlybird look at how they currently stand following the weekend. With a busy late model week ahead, there is bound to be a major reshuffling.

Features at Quincy, 34 Raceway and Lee County Speedway in Donnellson, Iowa, are eligible for points. So is Scotland County Speedway in Memphis, Mo., when/if the track schedules some late model main events.

1. Mark Burgtorf, 50 points
2. Denny Woodworth, 47
3. Keith Pratt, 43
4. Joey Gower, 40
5. Jason Frankel, 37
6. Jason Perry , 29
7. Robby Warner, 25
8. Lonnie Bailey, 24
9-tie. Dustin Neese, 20
9-tie. Tom Darbyshire, 20
On the bubble: Matt Ryan 15, Bill Genenbacher 13, Tom Bowling 10.

1. Dave says:

I like the idea of the regional rankings thing. It should really be wide open with Burgtorf not racing that much around here this season.

I’m looking forward to the Deery Brothers show. I’m probably in the minority, but I would rather see those than the UMP races. The Deery races are more competitive. The top few UMP guys with the biggest engines and most money are always the ones at the front.

2. Dave says:

3. Bailey backer says:

Why has Lonnie Bailey been struggling so much this season? I thought he would come out smoking and he hasn’t looked strong yet. I think that he, and not Jason Frankel, will wind up being the man to beat for the track championship. Frankel’s good, but I think Bailey’s experience will make a big difference.

4. Bailey backer says:

5. Mendon Fan says:

I’ve been reading all the reports and listening to all the talk at the track about who will win the late model championship, and I think one name that is getting overlooked is Keith Pratt.

This is a wide-open season for the track championship and I think someone with Pratt’s experience would be getting more respect. Maybe I’m overrating him as a driver, but I think he will be right there challenging Bailey, Frankel and a few others.

6. Mendon Fan says:

7. Dirt Dad says:

Congratulations to Robby Warner on that first victory. It is great to see some of the guys like him receive some attention. I look for quite a few new faces winning features this season, which I think can do nothing but help the sport.

Mark Burgtorf is the best driver in the history of Quincy Raceways, but he is so much stronger than anyone else there it is only a race to see who will finish second most nights when he is there. I wish him well in his new venture this year, but I am also glad to see some new winners on Sunday nights!

My prediction for the driver to break through is Jason Perry. Has anyone noticed how much he has improved in the last year or so?

8. Dirt Dad says:

9. Steve says:

Double-D,

Jason Perry is a great call. I look for big things from him, too, this season, including his first feature victory. We have a quality field of younger drivers chomping at the bit and it should be a great, great summer at the Bullring.

– Steve

10. Steve says:

Double-D,

– Steve

11. Steve says:

Mendon Fan,

All Keith needs is consistency to contend, and I think he will tell you the same thing. In recent years, he has learned patience. Normally, consistency follows shortly after that.

– Steve

12. Steve says:

Mendon Fan,

– Steve

13. Steve says:

Bailey backer,

I think as soon as Lonnie irons out some handling problems you’ll see him where he is accustomed to being — up front and challenging.

– Steve

14. Steve says:

Bailey backer,

– Steve

15. Steve says:

Dave,

There are bonuses with both, but I think the IMCA spec engine concept has definitely helped the late model count over the past decade. There simply aren’t enough deep pockets out there for everyone to run UMP.

I also think we’ll be seeing more and more of the crate late models as the years progress.

– Steve

16. Steve says:

Dave,

– Steve

17. wishuknew says:

Has anyone noticed Perry’s and Genebacher’s enginge popping…TC.. HMM… Raised some eye brows ?!?!?!

18. wishuknew says:

19. Corkscrew says:

well the deery show went pretty good, i’d say the highlight was meeting and seeing Carl Edwards though.

20. Corkscrew says: