Quincy Raceways preview for April 20

April 17, 2008 34 Comments

QUINCY RACEWAYS
SUNDAY PREVIEW

When: 6:30 p.m.

Weather forecast: Partly cloudy, chance of possible showers ending by around noon. Temperature in the evening should be in the 50s.

LATE MODELS

Points: IMCA points do not not begin until April 27.

Most recent winner: Mark Burgtorf, April 6.

The skinny: Sunday night should provide our first look at what the full field for this year’s championship pursuit will look like … Jason Frankel, Justin Reed and Kevin Tomlinson are among those who were not on hand April 6 who are expected to be in the lineup this week … It will also be the first time Frankel and 14-time track champ Mark Burgtorf go head-to-head this season.

Pick to click: Burgtorf.

MODIFIEDS

Points: Points do not begin until April 27

Most recent winner: Dave Wietholder, April 6

The skinny: This is the deepest series at the track this season, with no fewer than eight legitimate candidates to reach victory lane each week … It will be interesting to watch how well former "B" modified track champ Wyatt Lantz performs in his first full season of banging heads with some of the old "A" mod guys … It will also be interesting to see if Robbie Reed unveils his late model.

Pick to click: Michael Long.

IMCA STOCK CARS

Points: Jeff Mueller 43, John Oliver Jr. 41, Abraham Huls 41, Chris Wibbell 39, Chris Webb 38.

Most recent winner: Jeff Mueller, April 6.

The skinny: Expect the northern drivers to dominate this series early in the season. Veterans such as Mueller and Oliver Jr. have made it no secret they are in search of a national championship and are racing three nights each weekend … The top local finisher in the April 6 feature was Dave Wietholder in seventh … Abraham and Doug Huls are from Carthage but have never raced regularly in Quincy before this season.

Pick to click: Mueller.

HOBBY STOCKS

Points: Points do not begin until April 27

Most recent winner: Steve Carlin, April 6

The skinny: Hopefully, there will be a few more cars in the pits Sunday night. Only nine were on hand April 6. Track officials are expecting between 12-16 once all the expected competitors have their cars ready … Barring a major surprise, the championship race is expected to be between Carlin and Aaron Brocksieck … Wes Mayfield is back in a bomber after a taking two years off following the consolidation of the modified classes. Mayfield drove a "B" mod from 1998-2005.

Pick to click: Carlin

WORLD DIRT RACING LEAGUE

Thanks to Bucky Doren of the World Dirt Racing League and Jack Walbring of Quincy Raceways for supplying the following information:

The World Dirt Racing League kicked off its 2008 season Wednesday at Davenport, Iowa, Speedway, with Darren Miller of Chadwick, Ill., posting the victory.

After winning the Iowa-Illinois Taylor Insulation Pole Dash, Miller started up front for the 40-lap feature. Jimmy Mars of Menomonie , Wis., started to Miller’s outside. Miller beat Mars into the first corner and quickly moved to this high side with Mars in tow.

"I thought maybe winning the dash was going to hurt me," Miller said afterward. "After the dash, it looked the high side was the place to be. I was a little worried that Jimmy (Mars) was going to get the jump on me at the start of the A-main, but I ended up beating him into the first corner.

"The yellows really helped me tonight. Every time I was closing in on slower cars at the end of the race, we’d see a yellow."

Despite the caution flags, Miller held of the rest of the field.

Brian Birkhofer of Muscatine, Iowa, started 17th and raced his way to a second-place finish. Mars held on for third. Frank Heckenast of Orland Park, Ill., and Tim Lance of Brimsfield , Ill., rounded out the top five.

Up next for the WDRL is a stop at Freeport, Ill., Raceway Park Saturday. Quad Ciy Raceway in East Moline, Ill., will host the tour Sunday.

1. Steve says:

UMP fan,

Quincy became an IMCA track as a cost-saving measure for drivers. The IMCA spec engines were much cheaper than the big motors employed UMP and similar series — at last back in 1998 when the switch was made.

And while it’s debatable how much cheaper IMCA racing actually is anymore, what cannot be argued is how it has helped the late model car count at Quincy.

The year before Quincy made the switch to IMCA (1997) it averaged 13 late models each Sunday night. The last three years the track has AVERAGED more than 20 late models per show, with a high of 25 in 2006.

Do I think the track will ever switch full-time to UMP? No, but you will still get to see the UMP (and similar) cars several times during the season during events such as NASCAR Night and the UMP Summernationals.

2. Steve says:

UMP fan,

3. Just Wondering says:

I know track officials said they canceled the hornet division for a lack of cars, but there were only nine hobby stocks and not many more of the new IMCA stock cars on opening night. Why couldn’t they have kept the hornets, who had about a dozen cars each night?

4. Just Wondering says:

5. Steve says:

J.W.,

You ask a good question. From what I have been told, I think track officials were not only worried about the number of hornets, but the overall competitiveness of the class in particular and the individual races in general.

Not once in two years did the hornets ever draw more than 15 cars, and on most nights were lucky to have 10. The class was not growing and most races were rather boring, to be perfectly honest.

Track officials feel the IMCA stock cars, which put on some mighty fine races at the tracks up in Iowa, will grow with time at Quincy.

The class I think that is in most peril is the hobby stocks. Maybe it’s the economy, maybe it’s a lack of interest in that series … whatever the reason, that division has been on the decline in recent years. It has dwindled further this year, because some of the 2007 hobby stock drivers are now driving stock cars.

Think about this: In 2002, there was an average of 31 hobby stocks (then called bombers) each Sunday night. Last year there was an average of 15, with a high count of 19.

6. Steve says:

J.W.,

7. Mike says:

Compliments to the Herald-Whig for the new Sunday racing coverage. I couldn’t believe my eyes this morning! Great job!

8. Mike says:

9. Dirt Guy says:

Love the new Sunday race stuff … but did anyone else notice that Hank and Steven are pictured in front of a MODIFIED, not a LATE MODEL, as the caption says?

10. Dirt Guy says:

11. Charlie says:

How long can it go on. A driver like Tony Dunker always taking out any car that out runs him. He is a joke for a “Driver”, never seems to do anything wrong. He is probably lucky that someone has not cleaned his plow for him after every race. He has never left the racetrack with out having the whole side of his car torn up, did anyone ever think there is probably a reason it it that way. It just lucky that the wreckers are parked away from him when the races are going on or they would probably be took out too.

12. Charlie says:

13. Mod14 says:

When was the last time we had as many late models run a weekly race at Quincy as we had tonight?

14. Mod14 says:

15. Concerned Mom says:

Tonight’s races did not end until 11 o’clock. That’s a little late for parents with young children in attendance. I understand there were problems with the track, but racing did not start until 7.

Racing is supposed to start at 6:30 and I can’t remember the last time that actually happened. Isn’t there anything that can be done to start the racing on time?

16. Concerned Mom says:

17. Bill says:

I know it’s only two nights into the racing season, but is anyone else concerned about the lack of cars in the hobby stock division? Tonight there were only 11, which was two more than the first night, but nothing like a few years ago. What has happened to that division?

18. Bill says:

19. New Fan says:

I had not been to the races in about five years until tonight and we took our young son for the first time and he loved it. What a great experience. I was worried it might a little loud for him, but he loved every second of it. Mark Burgtorf and Micahel Long, you have a new fan!!

20. New Fan says:

21. Mendon says:

Okay…so I need to say something. Mark is a really great race care driver and a really nice man, but the races arn’t any fun to watch when you know who is going to win all the time. They need more fairness out at the track. For instance, making all the drivers re drawl 3 TIMES last night. That eventually put Mark #1.. Not very fair if you ask me..sounds like the race track owner needs to get his head out of his ass and learn how to do things right. The way they do the draw, re drwal thing out there, if you ask me it is only suppose to be done once! Not 3 times!!!!!

22. Mendon says:

23. Steve says:

Bill,

Good comment, and and it’s one I’ve heard quite a few times already this season. Personally, I thought thought there would be about 15 hobby stocks this season and I know track promoters were figuring on 12-16. It’s still a little early, but there is definite reason for concern.

Some of last year’s hobby stock drivers are now in the IMCA stock car class and no one has taken their place. The class has been on the decline since 2001 when it had an all-time weekly record average of 31 cars. Last year, that average had dwindled to 15.

Outside of late models and modifieds, most of the other classes at any dirt track run in cycles, and sometimes eventually run the full cycle and need to be replaced. Look at what happened with the old two-man cruisers. They used to draw 60 of them each week just a few years ago, and within four years they were gone.

Maybe we are seeing the beginning of the end of the hobby stocks. I hope not, but as expensive as raing has become even the low-end classes are no longer cheap. You need a pretty stuff bank account just to pay for racing gas these days.

24. Steve says:

Bill,

25. Steve says:

Concerned Mom,

Another good point, and believe me, track promoters were concerned Sunday night, too. They do not want the average weekly show going much past 9:30, but with the work that needed to be done to the track and a late start last night’s 11 o’clock finish was unavoidable. Track owner Tony Rhinberger even postponed the trophy dashes to try and keep things moving.

As far as getting started on time, that is something that can — and should be — corrected. I think it will be before long. If not, keep voicing your complaints.

26. Steve says:

Concerned Mom,

27. Steve says:

Mod 14,

The last time there were 24 or more late models at a regular weekly show was July 1, 2007, when 28 were on hand.

More than 20 late models a night have been rather commonplace the last three years. Track averages those years have been:

2007: 22
    2006: 25
    2005: 20

Thanks for the inquiry!

28. Steve says:

Mod 14,

2007: 22
    2006: 25
    2005: 20

Thanks for the inquiry!

29. Steve says:

Charlie,

I can tell you are a passionate fan, and in the modified division there is no in-between ground for either the fans or drivers. It’s a fact of life there is going to be serious contact in most of those modified races, especially the features, and that kind of action is going to bring heated reactions.

Is Tony Dunker aggressive? Sure, he is. Too much so? At times, probably yes, but it’s that aggressive driving that also helped him win two track titles.

As I’m writing this, I am looking at a list of the modified drivers, and just about everyone on that list can be accused of the same thing as you are accusing Tony. I think it comes down to who you are rooting for — or against.

But I admire your passion and interest — that’s the ONLY way to enjoy dirt-track racing!!

30. Steve says:

Charlie,

31. Steve says:

Mendon,

First of all, I can understand your frustration when the original redraw was disallowed. I looked into you questions and claims this morning (Monday).

So here we go, hope this helps…

There were two redraws for both the late models and modifieds, not three. Not sure who told you three, but sitting in the tower I usually have an idea of what’s going in that regard and two track officials confirmed this morning what I remembered from Sunday night — there two redraws, not three.

The track officials accepted full responsibility for the mistake in each case. There was a similar mixup in both cases between the tower and the pits regarding the proper redraw procedure. Redraws are handled differently before points racing begins and that was where the error was made.

“There was an error, and it had to be corrected,” one official told me this morning. “It was the only fair way to do it. Some of the drivers benefitted and some of them didn’t. What were we supposed to do? We made a mistake and we corrected it.”

In fairness to all concerned, those who work at the track use the early weeks of the season to get things straightened out, too. They made a mistake, admitted it and tried to correct it. Better now than in the middle of the points season, right?

I know this will be hard for some fans to accept, but sitting in the middle of and hearing almost every race night decision that is made I can assure you NO DRIVER receives preferential treatment. None.

Hope all of this helps, Mendon! See you next weekend.

32. Steve says:

Mendon,

So here we go, hope this helps…

Hope all of this helps, Mendon! See you next weekend.

33. dirtsquirt says:

why have they been starting the stockcars first in everything? why not switch it around a little, Really there are late models that have a long haul home also!!

34. dirtsquirt says: