Quincy Raceways preview for May 18

May 16, 2008 26 Comments

Sure, it’s been frustrating with three of eight scheduled shows at Quincy Raceways having been rained out, but be thankful you are not a fan whose primary track is at 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa, or Lee County Speedway in Donnellson, Iowa, or Scotland County Speedway in Memphis, Mo., or Macomb Raceway in Macomb, Ill.

Here’s a look at the number of nights of racing fans have seen at the following tracks:

Quincy: 5
West Burlington: 2-x
Lee County: 2
Scotland County: 0
Macomb: 0
x-only two classes were run on one of those nights

All of a sudden, 8000 Broadway looks a lot better, eh? And the good news is the weather forecast looks — shall we say it? — GREAT for Sunday night.

LATE MODELS AT LEE COUNTY

The late models will make one of their five appearances of the season tonight at Lee County Speedway in Donnellson, Iowa. This is a makeup of a rained-out date earlier this year. Tom Darbyshire is the defending track champ at Donnellson. Racing starts at 7:30.

QUINCY RACEWAYS SUNDAY NIGHT GUIDE

Race time: 6:30 p.m.

Weather forecast: No rain. The rest is inconsequential.

LATE MODELS

Points: Joey Gower 78, Justin Reed 75, Keith Pratt 73, Dustin Neese 73, Denny Woodworth 72, Jason Frankel 70.

Herald-Whig Performance Points (track regulars): Mark Burgtorf 44, Denny Woodworth 42, Robby Warner 24, Keith Pratt 18, Justin Reed 15, Joey Gower 12.

Stevie Dirt regional rankings (20 or more points): 1.
Mark Burgtorf, Quincy, Ill., 95; 2. Denny Woodworth, Mendon, Ill., 86
3. Keith Pratt, Mendon, Ill., 68; 4. Justin Reed, Quincy, Ill., 54; 5.
Joey Gower, Quincy, Ill., 48; 6. Tom Darbyshire, Morning Sun, Iowa, 46;
7. Jason Frankel, Quincy, Ill., 41; 8. Robby Warner, Quincy, Ill., 35;
9-tie. Jason Perry, Payson, Ill., 34; 9-tie. Lonnie Bailey, Quincy,
Ill., 34; 11. Andy Nezworski, Buffalo, Iowa, 29; 12. Boone McLaughlin,
Mediapolis, Iowa, 26; 13. Dustin Neese, Nebo, Ill., 23.

Money earned (points races only): Joey Gower $895, Keith Pratt 860, Robby Warner 830, Denny Woodworth 705, Justin Reed 700.

Most recent winner: Keith Pratt, May 4.

The skinny: Ron Elbe (3,994) is six points shy of becoming the sixth late model driver to reach 4,000 career track points since Quincy adopted IMCA scoring in 1998. Others are Mark Burgtorf (5,960), Denny Woodworth (5,112), Terry Gallaher (4,526), Lonnie Bailey (4,507) and the late Brent Slocum (4,003) …  There have been four different trophy dash winners already this season: Bailey, Clint Kirkham, Woodworth and Robby Warner. Career dash winners (since 1998): Bailey 25, Burgtorf 23, Woodworth 22 …  Ten different local drivers have won heat races, led by Burgtorf (3), Jason Frankel (2), Justin Reed (2) and Bailey (2).

Pick to click: Justin Reed.

MODIFIEDS

Points: Michael Long 86, Tony Dunker 78, Steven DeLonjay 75, Dave Wietholder 73, Wyatt Lantz 72.

Herald-Whig Performance Points (track regulars): Michael Long 69, Dave Wietholder 26, Brandon Lennox 24, Vance Wilson 15, Jeff Waterman 13.

Money earned (points races only): Michael Long, $835, Wyatt Lantz 490, Tony Dunker 490, Steven DeLonjay 400, Dave Wietholder 400.

Most recent winner: Michael Long, May 4.

The skinny: Tony Dunker, currently second in points, has the longest active streaks of both top five (7) and top 10 (8) points finishes … Only two drivers have won more than one heat race: Michael Long (4) and Robbie Reed (2) … Dash winners: Brandon Lennox (2), Steven DeLonjay and Long. Career leaders (since 1998): Long (17), Vance Wilson (16), Hank DeLonjay (15), Dunker (15).

Pick to click:
Michael Long. (Duh.)

IMCA STOCK CARS

Points: Abe Huls 152, Jeff Mueller 152, Chris Wibbell 150, John Oliver Jr. 143, Doug Huls 138.

Herald-Whig Performance Points (track regulars): Jeff Mueller 25, John Oliver Jr. 24, Abe Huls 17, Chris Wibbell 16.

Money earned (points races only): Jeff Mueller $950, John Oliver Jr. 830, Chis Wibbell 825, Abe Huls 800, Steve Steinkuhler 545.

Most recent winner: Jeff Mueller, May 4.

The skinny: Jeff Mueller, Abe Huls, Chris Wibbell and Doug Huls are finished on the lead lap of all 85 laps of feature competition this season … Steve Steinkuhler of Camp Point is seventh in points, the highest of any of the Quincy regulars who came to this class from another 2007 series. Dave Wietholder of Liberty is eighth … Only four drivers have won heats, paced by Mueller (3) and John Oliver Jr. (3).

Pick to click: Doug Huls.

HOBBY STOCKS

Points: James Leffew 82, Wes Mayfield 78, Bobby Anders 75, Aaron Brocksieck 73, Steve Carlin 73, Corrie Eifert 72.

Herald-Whig Performance Points (track regulars): Aaron Brocksieck 21, James Leffew 17, Steve Carlin 14, Bobby Anders 11, Wes Mayfield 11.

Money earned (points races only): James Leffew $250, Aaron Brocksieck
210, Wes Mayfield 180, Bobby Anders 135, Nathan Anders 130, Jeremy Buss
130, Corrie Eifert 130.

Most recent winner: James Leffew, May 4.

The skinny: This series is still waiting for its first two-time feature winner. Aaron Brocksieck, Steve Carlin, Jim Powell and James Leffew have all accepted the checkers once … Brocksieck, Carlin and Corrie Eifert have each won two heats … Travis Booher (2,871) is likely three or four weeks away from becoming the 10th hobby stocker to reach 3,000 career track points. Retired Eddie Dieker (5,692) and Carlin (4,354) are the all-time leaders.

Pick to click: Bobby Anders. He’s due.

FEATURE WINNERS

Late models
April 6: Mark Burgtorf, Quincy, Ill.
April 20: Mark Burgtorf, Quincy, Ill.
April 27: Robby Warner, Quincy, Ill.
April 30: Denny Woodworth, Mendon, Ill.
May 4: Keith Pratt, Mendon, Ill.

Modifieds
April 6: Dave Wietholder, Liberty, Ill.
April 20: Michael Long, Quincy, Ill.
April 27: Michael Long, Quincy, Ill.
April 30: Michael Long, Quincy, Ill.
May 4: Michael Long, Quincy, Ill.

Stock Cars
April 6: Jeff Mueller, New London, Iowa
April 20: Chris Wibbell, Dallas City, Ill.
April 27: John Oliver, Jr., Danville, Iowa
May 4: Jeff Mueller, New London, Iowa

Hobby Stocks
April 6: Steve Carlin, Hannibal, Mo.
April 20: Jim Powell, Hannibal, Mo.
April 27: Aaron Brocksieck, Camp Point, Ill.
May 4: James Leffew, Quincy, Ill.

1. LML says:

I’ve been following the “Hall of Fame” poll voting the last week or so. Very interesting. Interested to see how it turns out. I thought Burgtorf would run away with the voting, but not so.

2. LML says:

3. Just wonderin' says:

It just amazes me how some people can claim “they know” Michael Long is cheating because of traction control, when they probably have no idea what they are even talking about. Why blacken a guy’s name by putting those kind of question marks out there?

Michael Long is not my favorite driver, but just because he’s winning I don’t think he has to be cheating to do it. I give him the credit he deserves. If he or anyone else is found to be cheating then they deserve all the crap they get, but until that time why don’t all the grandstand drivers give the guy a break?

I’ll be out there Sunday night rooting for Wyatt Lantz and if Michael Long beats him, more power to Michael. A few years ago Wyatt was winning about everything at the track in the old B mod division and I don’t remember hearing all this stuff about him.

4. Just wonderin' says:

5. Bad Bumps says:

Can anyone tell me if those holes between turns three and four have been fixed? I’m no groundskeeper, but I would think after a month they would be able to figure that problem out and fix it.

6. Bad Bumps says:

7. Babb says:

Does anyone know if Shannon Babb will be coming to Quincy for the Summernationals show? I have heard his deal with Clint Bowyer and the World of Outlaws may not make it possible. Any “insider” out there know anything?

8. Babb says:

9. New Guy says:

This is my first “racing season” living in Quincy and I would just like to say how great it is. I lived in northern Illinois and saw a lot of World Dirt League racing, but this area is just amazing. I can’t believe all the newspaper coverage and this blog coverage the racing around here gets, plus the other things like that heartland motorsports. Let me just say the fans up north would give anything to have all this. Racing in Quincy is treated like NASCAR down south, and speaking as a newcomer to the area I love it!! I had never seen Mark Burgtorf or Michael Long or some these guys ever race before this season, but I feel like I’ve known them my whole life!!

10. New Guy says:

11. Top Row says:

Just thinking out loud, but would love some feedback on this subject. In one respect I can understand why guys like Mark and Denny want to branch out and tackle the big boys of late model racing in the region, but for the most part they are never a real threat. Why not just race at Quincy where they have their fans who love to come out every Sunday and watch them?

12. Top Row says:

13. Sprint Cars says:

Personally, I’d like to see sprint cars added as a weekly class at Quincy. I think a lot of fans would enjoy the incredible speeds and excitement the sprints bring. Anyone agree with me?

14. Sprint Cars says:

15. Top Row says:

Can’t say I’d like to see sprints every week, but I wouldn’t mind a fifth class. Maybe crate late models?

16. Top Row says:

17. LML says:

I’d be all for a fifth class if the starting time was pushed up to like 5 o’clock.
    The racing needs to be done about 9:30 or 10 on a Sunday night. Most people have to work on Monday morning.

18. LML says:

19. LML says:

I see Frankel won Friday night in Donnellson. Hopefully, he’s back on track now and get a win Sunday night in Quincy. Be interesting to see what he does tonight in Burlington.

20. LML says:

21. Fan From a Distance says:

Congratulations to Jason Frankel on his win at Lee County Friday night. It is great to see Jason back in an IMCA late model. Lee County is also a great place to watch a late model race. I saw where they had 20 late models in attendance last evening which is a great turnout all things consider. I think there is enough interest to bring them back full-time, or perhaps for 8-10 races, next year. Any thoughts? (The LMs out numbered every class but for the 4-cylinders which had 21 cars.)

As to Denny and Mark branching out to run in the bigger shows, I think there are a lot of positives to be gained. First, it helps to support the fact that there truly are great drivers in the tri-state area. Granted it will take time for Mark and Denny (and others on a selected basis) to get acclimated to the open shows but with hard work I’m confident they can both be successful. Open cars compared to IMCA spec LMs are just such a new ballgame to both of them – different tire compounds, different tracks, time trials, more HP, etc. They both did great in their limited showings last week at the Diamond in Wheatland, MO – it was unfortunate the weather played havoc on the event.

The other obvious benefit is the increased media coverage and opportunities to build experience in leading races, etc. the new “young guns” will receive – boosting their confidence and helping them consistently perform better.

We’ll see how the season pans out but by the looks of the first few weeks, it should be a great summer (assuming the weather improves).

22. Fan From a Distance says:

23. racin18 says:

Congratulations to Rickey Frankel for getting the Hard Charger ward at I-55 in Pevely Missouri on May 3rd!! He started 22 and finished 8th. And for any one that has been to Pevely you know there is some definite competition. Way to go Rickey!!

24. racin18 says:

25. Top Row says:

Big weekend for the Frankels. Great job, guys! Would like to see Jason make it a clean sweep tonight at QR!!

26. Top Row says: