Quincy track problems being corrected

May 22, 2008 14 Comments

Quincy Raceways will have a new track surface in place before Sunday night’s regularly scheduled show and Monday night’s $26,000 modified/sprint car spectacular.

A variety of crews and specialists have been working at the .29-mile facility all week in an effort to correct the problems that have plagued the facility this season. Track owner Tony Rhinberger says the problem areas between turns three and four, plus those between one and two, will be eliminated before weekend racing.

Construction work on the track last fall, which lengthened and widened the racing area, coupled with this spring’s heavier-than-normal rainfall, helped create an extremely rough racing surface. A large rut between turns three and four has been especially troublesome.

Check Saturday’s edition of The Herald-Whig for more details on the "new" track and more informaton about Monday’s big modified/sprint car show.

REED WINS FIRST DEERY RACE

Quincy Raceways regular Justin Reed rolled to his first-ever Deery Brothers Summer Series late model tour victory Wednesday night.

Justin_reed
Justin Reed won a Deery Brothers
race on Wednesday in Allison, Iowa.

Reed led all 40 laps at Highway 3 Raceway in Allison, Iowa, turning back challenges from Clint Wendel, Rob Toland, Boone McLaughlin, Matt Strassheim and Jason Frankel. Frankel was the only other Quincy driver in the top 24.

Reed pocketed $2,000 for the victory in becoming the series’ fourth straight first-time winner. Reed joins Mike Collins, Andy Nezworski and Denny Woodworth as first-time winners.

The streak of consecutive new winners is the longest since 1987, when the series saw different drivers in victory lane through its first six events.

Reed’s previous best Deery finish had been second, in the April 29 show at 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa.

Next on the Deery schedule is a date at Boone Speedway for its traditional Memorial Day show.

QUINCY RACEWAYS PERFORMER OF THE WEEK

Toughest call of the season, but I went with late model driver Jason Frankel, whose impressive Sunday night drive capped a weekend that saw him win three features — Quincy, Saturday at 34 Raceway and Friday Lee County Speedway.

Frankel also moved in the No. 1 position in the Stevie Dirt Regional Rankings.

Honorable mention goes to modified driver Michael Long, who won his fifth straight feature at Quincy. Long also won the main event at Scotland County Speedway.

Previous Racers of the Week

2: Keith Pratt, late models
1: Robby Warner, late models

NATIONAL LATE MODEL RANKING
S
from latemodelracer.com

Last week’s rankings in parentheses

1. (1.) Billy Moyer, Batesville Ark.
2. (2.) Jimmy Owens, Newport, Tenn.
3. (3.) Steve Francis, Ashland, Ky.
4. (4.) Scott Bloomquist, Mooresburg, Tenn.
5. (7.) Josh Richards, Shinnston, W. Va.
6. (6.) Shannon Babb, Moweaqua, Ill.
7. (5.) Earl Pearson Jr., Jacksonville, Fla.
8. (8.) Shane Clanton, Locust Grove, Ga.
9. (14.) Tim McCreadie, Watertown, N.Y.
10. (18.) Jimmy Mars, Menomonie, Wis.

Victory leaders:
Moyer 10, Owens 6, Mars 4.

FRANKEL LEADS WEST BURLINGTON LATE MODEL POINTS

1. Jason Frankel, Quincy, Ill., 84 points
2. Tom Bowling, Danville, Iowa, 75
3. Boone McLaughlin, Mediapolis, Iowa, 70
4. Lonnie Bailey, Quincy, Ill., 70
5. Tom Darbyshire, Morning Sun, Iowa, 69
6. Matt Ryan, Davenport, Iowa, 68
7. Tom Goble, Burlington, Iowa, 65
8-tie. Keith Pratt, Mendon, Ill., 63
8-tie. Stephen Kammerer, Blue Grass, Iowa, 63
10. Joey Gower, Quincy, Ill., 61

INDIANAPOLIS 500 FORECAST

from "Trouble in Turn Three," www.geoffreystephens.com

We all know that Sunday will be the 92nd annual running of the Indianapolis 500, but who has the best chance at reaching victory lane? Statistically speaking, of course …

Everyone likes statistics, so I will rank the 33 drivers who make up the field using the following formula:

• In past races: 3 points for each pole, 10 points for each win, 5 points for each 2nd-5th place finish, 2 points for each 6th-10th place finish and one point for each finish 11th or lower.

• This month: 10 points for the pole, 5 points for starting second, 4 for third, 3 for fourth, 2 for 5th-11th and one for starting 12th-33rd + 3 points for a driver each time they were fastest in practice for the day during this month excluding "Rookie Orientation" on May 4-5.

• 2008 Starts: 5 points for each IndyCar (excludes Champ Car race at Long Beach) victory in 2008 prior to Indy, 3 points for each 2nd place, 2 points for each 3rd place and 1 point for each finish of 4th or lower.

Helio Castroneves (50) [starts 4th]
Milka Duno (4) [starts 27th]
Mario Moraes (4) [starts 28th]
Enrique Bernoldi (4) [starts 29th]
Jaime Camara (2) [starts 30th]
Alex Lloyd (1) [starts 19th]

1. LML says:

Good news about the track. I’m anxious to see how it looks. Hope the rain holds off.

2. LML says:

3. Pit Pass says:

Good to see Justin Reed get a big win like that. I think he has been overlooked as one of th next “break thru” drivers at QR. He’s not afraid to stick his nose in there and go for the win.

It’s a great crop of young drivers out there and I can see a lot of big rivalries developing in the next five or 10 years — if the price of gas doesn’t keep us all from the track.

4. Pit Pass says:

5. Top Row says:

The comment about gas prices is interesting. I think QR fans are fortunate we have a track located in a population center, and where most of the regular weekly drivers are from. I don’t think we’ll experience any major problems, but I wonder how some of those Iowa tracks are going to make it through the next few years.

6. Top Row says:

7. Mod Fan says:

It looks to me like even QR has suffered a little at the gate this season, and I have been told some of the Iowa tracks have really been had low turnouts. People just don’t have the extra money like they used to.

8. Mod Fan says:

9. Race family says:

My wife and I both have decent jobs and have four kids who all love the races, and it is rough trying to go each Sunday night. I appreciate what the track has been doing with family tickets and knocking off $2 for the price of special shows.

I never thought I would see the day when I had to worry about having enough extra money to take my family to the track, but it is becoming a problem and I don’t blame Mr. Rhinberger. He seems to be doing everything in his power to keep it affordable and we plan on supporting QR.

I’ll tell you who I do blame, though. Just get out a map and put your finger on any of those OPEC countries. I just hope I live long enough to see the day when they have to crawl on their hands and knees and beg us for something.

See you at the races!

10. Race family says:

See you at the races!

11. Top Row says:

To Race Family,

I have no idea who you and your family are, but I’m proud to call you a fellow race fan! Hope to meet you at the track some day.

12. Top Row says:

To Race Family,

13. ZeroF says:

You know what’s great? All this talk today about IMPORTANT subjects! Nothing about someone why might be cheating or someone booing or any of that stuff.

14. ZeroF says: