Who, if anyone, was last to win three titles in same year?

July 15, 2008 26 Comments

Quincy late model driver Jason Frankel might have the opportunity accomplish something even more special than originally thought.

Frankel is the current points leader at Quincy Raceways, 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa, and Lee County Speedway in Donnellson, Iowa. If he can hang on in the second half of the season and pull off this unusual hat trick, who will he join in this accomplishment?

Anyone?

My research is fairly complete back into the mid and late 1990s and I cannot find any driver in Illinois, Iowa or Missouri with three track titles in the same year during that time, but there remains a hole or two in those findings so I am not offering that with 100 percent confidence.

This is where any and all of you reading this can help, especially all of you oldtimers out there — Danny Rosencrans, are you listenin’? I need some help in research and development.

Anything any of you can add to the lists below — or farther back — will be greatly appreciated. Feel free to comment, email or call. I’d like to see how far back we can get by the end of the season. Even if  Frankel is unable to pull off this impressive feat we will have some tools for future use.

FYI–I have all the past Quincy Raceways champions and most of those at Iowa and Illinois tracks back into the mid to late 1990s.

Thanks in advance for your help.

TWO TRACK CHAMPIONSHIPS, SAME SEASON
Quincy area drivers in bold face italics

2007

1999

Mark Burgtorf: Quincy, Lee County
Ed Dixon: I-55 Raceway, Belle Clair

1998

Mark Burgtorf: Quincy, Lee County

DRIVER DOMINANCE INDEX

There’s a new leader in the DDI. Hobby stock ace Aaron Brocksieck has unseated season-long No. 1 Michael Long, who skipped Sunday night to run for the big modified bucks over in Moberly, Mo.

Simply divide the number of points a driver has earned by the
maximum number available. This little statistical tool shows how much
specific drivers dominate their divisions, in addition to what they do in the raw
points standings.

Stock cars are not eligible to be listed since that series’ heat races do not award points.

Here’s a look at the top overall drivers following July 13 races:

1. Aaron Brocksieck, hobby stocks, 349 of 387, .902
2. Steve Carlin, hobby stocks, 338 of 387, .873
3. Steven DeLonjay, modifieds, 336 of 387, .868
4. Wes Mayfield, hobby stocks, 335 of 387, .866
5. Tony Dunker, modifieds, 331 of 387, .855
6. Michael Long, modifieds, 328 of 387, .848
7. Dave Wietholder, modifieds, 325 of 387, .840
8. Jason Frankel, late models, 322 of 387, .826
9. James Leffew, hobby stocks,m 319 of 387, .824
10. Justin Reed, late models, 313 of 387, .809

DEPENDABLE DRIVERS

Chris Wibbell rolls on. The Dallas City Ironman has been able to keep his car together and avoid the five-car pileups to run all 245 feature laps in the stock car division. No other driver in any of the four series has done better than miss eight laps.

Here are the leaders through July 13:

1. Chris Wibbell, stock cars, 245 of 245, 1.000
2. Steven DeLonjay
, modifieds, 283 of 291, .972
3. Aaron Brocksieck, hobby stocks, 194 of 202, .960
4. Jason Perry, late models, 335 of 350, .957
5. Steve Carlin, hobby stocks, 192 of 202, .951
6. Dustin Neese, late models, 325 of 350, .929
7. Michael Long, modifieds, 267 of 291, .918
8-tie. Justin Reed, late models, 320 of 350, .914
8-tie. Mark Burgtorf, late models, 320 of 350, .914
10. Bruce Hatfield
, hobby stocks, 218 of 245, .889

RUNNER-UP OR JUST THE FIRST LOSER?

The drivers who have finished second in this season’s features:

Late models

Wes Mayfield, 1
Aaron Brocksieck, 1
Bobby Anders, 1
Jim Powell, 1

CLOSE CALLS

The closest feature finishes through July 13:

1. Jake Wenig, stock cars, 0.096 of a second over John Oliver Jr., May 18.
2. Keith Pratt, late models, 0.252 of a second over Justin Reed, May 4.
3. Steve Steinkuhler, stock cars, 0.344 of a second over John Oliver Jr., June 1.
4. John Oliver Jr., stock cars, 0.356 of a second over Jeff Mueller, June 29.
5. Travis Booher, hobby stocks, 0.366 of a second over James Leffew, June 8.
6. Dave Wietholder, stock cars, 0.387 of a second over Doug Huls, June 22.
7. Aaron Brocksieck, hobby stocks, 0.405 of a second over James Leffew, April 27.
8. Chris Wibbell, stock cars, 0.434 of a second over Doug Huls, April 20.
9. Michael Long, modifieds, 0.452 of a second over Steve Arpin, May 4.
10. Dustin Griffin, late models, 0.540 of a second over Jason Frankel, June 8.

1. Top Row says:

Not bad, Jason Frankel, not bad. Good luck. Hope you get all three.

2. Top Row says:

Not bad, Jason Frankel, not bad. Good luck. Hope you get all three.

3. ZeroF says:

and just think, frankel hasn’t really gotten “hot” yet … if he has the same kind of 2nd half he did last year watch out!

4. ZeroF says:

5. 7 fan says:

just to remind everybody, as good as jason has been, burgtorf missed that one points week at qcy. if he hadn’t he would be leading.

6. 7 fan says:

7. LML says:

To 7 fan, don’t forget, that was mark’s option not to be there.

8. LML says:

To 7 fan, don’t forget, that was mark’s option not to be there.

9. mod rod says:

I heard Lennox’s car owner said he wouldn’t be coming back to Quincy again.

10. mod rod says:

I heard Lennox’s car owner said he wouldn’t be coming back to Quincy again.

11. dirt bunch says:

yeah i heard lennox was mad after getting dq’d from the heat race two weeks ago.

12. dirt bunch says:

13. TT44TT says:

well, if lennox had not broken a rule he wouldn’t have been disqualified.

14. TT44TT says:

well, if lennox had not broken a rule he wouldn’t have been disqualified.

15. Wondering says:

I heard today another race track might be closing, somewhere over in east Illinois. The guy who told me didn’t catch the name of the track. Anyone else hear this?

16. Wondering says:

17. Stevie Dirt says:

I think the track you are probably talking about is over around Danville. I’ll have more on that situation for Sunday’s Racing Notebook in the The Herald-Whig.–Stevie Dirt.

18. Stevie Dirt says:

19. Dirt LM fan says:

Three championships in one season has been accomplished twice that I know of. Mark Burgtorf in 1998 and 1999 at Lee County and Quincy. Two LM and one Mod each year. Another post here mentioned “watch the red 7″ for Quincy championship, I also believe he can win it.

20. Dirt LM fan says:

21. 52 Crew says:

Awesome coverage on here! No other track in the midwest can be able to boast of this much info each week. I wish you added the stock cars into the driver dominance index, because I think Chris would be leading that too with .915. We never even planned to run for points weekly at QR, with him getting married in the middle of race season, but glad we did!

22. 52 Crew says:

23. Stevie Dirt says:

To Dirt LM fan,

Good point about Mark’s modified title(s), but I was referring to late model championships only. Guess I should have been more clear on that point! Thanks for the reminder about the old 69M, though. I wish we could see him in that again. I used to love Friday nights in Donnellson when Mark would race both the late model and the modified every week.

– Stevie Dirt

24. Stevie Dirt says:

To Dirt LM fan,

– Stevie Dirt

25. Stevie Dirt says:

To 52 crew,

Thanks for the nice words, and probably next year we’ll add stock cars to the regional rankings. A lot of this year has been a trial run and the response has been so good we want to try and continue to make this blog the best it can be. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

– Stevie Dirt