Morgan County track will not affect Quincy Raceways

October 30, 2008 6 Comments

For those wondering how the new dirt track in Morgan County, which will race on Sunday nights, might affect Quincy Raceways' late model car count, the answer is simple.

It won't.

The quarter-mile facility located east of Alexander is being built by the Sheppards (Steve Sr. and Steve Jr.) and will be sanctioned by United Midwestern Promoters (UMP). Quincy will begin its 12th year as an IMCA track next April. Different rules, different cars.

I just wish the Morgan County track was running on a different evening. It would be nice to see some of the cars it is bound to attract on a regular basis, but my heart belongs to 8000 Broadway..

The Alexander track is supposed to seat 3,500 when all the bleachers are assembled. The Sheppards said in story in the Jacksonville Journal-Courier the track will run April to October.

Late models will be the marquee class at the new facility. Expect the track to get a UMP Summernationals date.

No word yet on what the other support series will be.

1. Traveler says:

I hadn’t heard about this track…. very interesting. Good luck to the Sheppards.

2. Traveler says:

I hadn’t heard about this track…. very interesting. Good luck to the Sheppards.

3. Light-ning says:

I agree with the complaints about the lights at QR, but I’m guessing they’ll have it figured out by next spring. Give Rhimberger credit for trying to improve the lighting. Plus, remember the early season problems with the track, those were worked out and it was a great racing surface most of the time after that. There have bee a lot of improvements out there in last couple years.

4. Light-ning says:

5. Cory Walton says:

I’m not sure if they are gonna run modifieds, well i am almost sure they will. I Wonder if Quincy will loose car count in modifieds if that happens? I guess it will be who’s pay out is gonna be better.

6. Cory Walton says: