Does Houston deserve stock car favorite’s tag for 2010?

October 18, 2009 10 Comments

So who should be favored to win the 2010 stock car title at the Bullring?

Defending champ Abe Huls? Kevin Tomlinson? Terry Houston? Aaron Brocksieck? Steve Steinkuhler? Chris Wibbell? What if Jeff Mueller returns to race full-time? Or Dave Wietholder? And I think you can easily add a handful of other names into that mix, too.

That’s exactly why the stock car class  is quickly beocming the most unpredictable of the four weekly series at Quincy. It’s easily the most wide open in terms of potential champions, and that’s why five years from now this will be an awesome, awesome division.

The stock cars are still undergoing some growing pains, and that’s to be expected. During the inaugural 2008 season the series depended heavily on the Iowa drivers to come down and help get the class up and running. Last season there was a solid core of a dozen or so drivers from Illinois and Missouri that proved to be the heart of the class. Whenever the Iowa hotshoes showed up, it was simply icing on the cake. I would think 2010 will be the first year we see some definitive growth in the division.

Personally, I think Houston is going to be extremely strong next summer and may deserve the favorite’s nod before before the stock cars’ third season gets under way a little more than five months from now. But if you “forced” me to take Huls, Brocksieck, Scuba Steve or Tomlinson I would not argue.

I’m sure this subject will be discussed more than once between now and that first green flag in April. (Is winter over yet?)

TOTAL VICTORIES
Since 2008

(drivers in bold face were active in stock car class in 2009)
1. Jeff Mueller, 15

Michael Larsen, 4
Aaron Brocksieck, 3
Levi Long, 3
Jerry Jansen, 2

FEATURE VICTORIES
Since 2008

(drivers in bold face were active in stock car class in 2009)
Jeff Mueller, 10
Terry Houston, 5
Kevin Tomlinson, 4
Dave Wietholder, 3
Aaron Brocksieck, 3
John Oliver, 3
Steve Steinkuhler, 2
Chris Wibbell, 2

Other notable active track regulars
Andrew Griffin, 1

HEAT VICTORIES
Since 2008

(drivers in bold face were active in stock car class in 2009)
Doug Huls, 8

Other notable active track regulars
Kevin Tomlinson, 3
Levi Long, 3
Jerry Jansen, 2
Chris Wibbell, 2

1. vanworm says:

In the modified voting, a class where Justin Reed won the Championship, Justin received a mere 1.5% of the votes. Now in the late model division, which is full of great drivers, Justin has received 42.2% of the votes thus far. Does anyone besides me see a scam here? The old saying “Figures don’t lie but liars figure” definately applies to this survey. The Joe Dirt Team couldn’t possibly be involved in altering another friendly survey could they? Maby Justin’s fans were just all really busy during the modified voting. Unlikely Huh? I think Justin is a great driver and my comments are not in any way an attempt to disrespect him. However, I feel that the original intention of these surveys has been seriously corrupted. Sorry Justin and all of the Joe Dirt fans out there, the fact is that these numbers just don’t add up.

2. FORD BOY says:

VERY WELL STATED VANWORM. BE PREPARED FOR SOME HEAT FROM TEAM4.

3. little crank fan says:

team4 and heat go together anything they can do to get the upper hand they will.

4. team4girl says:

sorry vanworm but didn’t anyone ever teach you that if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all???? If you don’t have an intelligent comment or know your facts….you should really keep them to yourself. Just a thought.

5. Girl Mod Fan says:

I had a flash back we where back in High School….lol… Waiting for the I’m rubber your glue…. Really guys come on, name callin is so 6th grade. Sad thing is this is only the first month and the fans are already rowdy… Ooo goodness it is going to be a long winter. I guess it always has the entertainment factor…….

Go Burgtorf!!!

=o)

6. DIRTLMFAN says:

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH VANWORM.I DO THINK THE HOBBY STOCK AND STOCKCAR SURVIES WERE LEGIT. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE USE OF COMPUTERS DOES NOT MAKE THEIR DRIVER BETTER OR DESERVING. STEVIE DIRT IS TRYING HARD TO KEEP RACING AT THE FORE FRONT AND WINTER ISN’T EVEN HERE ! I DID VOTE ONCE IN EACH CLASS AS THE SURVEY INTENDED. LATE MODELS EQUATE TO BURGTORF IN OUR TRI-STATE AREA. THANKS STEVIE.

7. vanworm says:

Hello. Sorry if I sounded unintelligent. Apparently I didn’t attend very good universities for my bachelors and masters degrees. Although, I believe you are the one whom is confused about the facts. Firstly, I said good things about Justin and the other late model drivers at Quincy, so I am not sure what you mean by this comment. You might need to re-read my remarks once again for clarification. Use an on-line dictionary this time if you need additional help. Perhaps you are just one of the close minded people in this world whom views any opinion contradictory to your as impolite and unintelligent. Secondly, if you are capable of enlightening me about the actual facts regarding these numbers I would be very grateful if you would do so. These numbers still make no sense to me and appear to show a large misrepresentation in the number of fans that Justin his in the modified and the late model class. However, your help regarding this matter might clear things up and allow me to become more knowledgeable and appear more intelligent in my future posts. I’m looking forward to your informative and intelligent explanation of this matter.

8. TEAM4FAN says:

HA HA HA HA HA …. JOE DIRT ! ! ! I GET IT ! ! ! DONT FORGET , HES GOT A BIG NOSE AND HE’S AFRAID OF THE DARK TOO ! ! ! !

ITS ABOUT TIME ONE OF YOU ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN WANNA-BES FIGURED IT ALLLL OUT ……

WE CHEATED ! ! ! ! AS A MATTER OF FACT , IM SITTIN AROUND WAITIN FOR 2MORO NIGHT , THINKIN ABOUT WHO I WANT TO WIN THE LATE MODEL VOTE , BY THE WAY , I TAKE BRIBES AND I C-A-N MAKE IT HAPPEN ! ! ! !

WHAT THE HELL , WHY STOP THERE ? :
    1. WE DONT RUN MUFFLERS
    2. THERE’S WAY TOO MUCH ROOM IN THE TRAILER
    3. THE SHEET METAL IS BRAND NEW EVERY YEAR , SOMETIMES TWO SETS
    4. OUR VINYL MACHINE CUTS MORE AERODYNAMIC STICKERS
    5. THE VICTORY LANE SPONSOR HAS THE SAME LAST NAME
    6. THE OWNER IS FAMILY ( WAIT , THAT ONE DONT WORK NO MORE )
    7. OUR CREW HAS MORE FANS THAN MOST DRIVERS

… THAT IS DEFINITELY SOME KINDA SCAM

I’M NOT SURE , DO THE NUMBERS ADD UP YET ? , DO I HAVE THE UPPER HAND ? , JUST IN CASE , I’LL KEEP GOIN

IF ANY OF YOU WOULD READ THE HEADLINES STEVIE PUTS UP HERE EVERY WEEK , FOLLOWING THEM IS A LIST OF STATS THAT COVER PRETTY MUCH ANY CATEGORY POSSIBLE ON DIRT RACING AT THE BULL RING . THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE VOTE IS FOR THE FANS , IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY . IF IT WAS ALL STATS , WHY IN THE HELL WOULD HE ASK US TO VOTE , PAY ATTENTION SHERLOCK , THE ALL-DIRT TEAM IS BEING POSTED NEXT WEEK , THAT’S THE STAT DRIVERS ! ! ! ! ! YEH , YOUR RIGHT , BONE PROLLY WONT BE ON THE FRONT ROW , SO THIS WILL BE YOUR CHANCE TO COMMENT ALL YOU WANT . . . WE DONT DENY NUMBERS ,

JUST CHECK CONSISTENCY , AND LISTEN TO THE FANS ON SUNDAY NITE SLICK ! ! ! ! !

DONT BE HATERS , I’M SURE WE HAVE A TEAM4 SHIRT IN ALL YOUR SIZES ! ! ! ! !

– WHAT THE %$@# IS A “VANWORM” ANYWAY ?

== SKIP

9. TEAM4FAN says:

sorry , i got more …….

mr vanworm , you had your last comment “moderated” while i was typing , i DONT have a masters degree , so i type s-l-o-o-o-o-w , i appologize if i insulted your apparent intelligence ! ( i have a thesarus too ! )

but , i do know that if i spent the time trying to downgrade TEAM4GIRL like you did , i would have at least went back through my comment full of million dollar words , & checked for grammatical errors before i hit the “submit” button .

submitting a comment like that is like TONY DUNKER calling somebody a “rough driver” ! ! ! ! ! ! !

== SKIPP

10. Girl Mod Fan says:

So Skip where do we place our order for shirts? Christmas is coming… :-)