Dunker nearly ends streak, moves closer to century mark

May 31, 2010 7 Comments

Tony Dunker

Lost to many in Sunday night’s action at the Bullring was Tony Dunker’s near-miss in the modified feature. Dunker came that close to finding victory lane for the first time since 2005, finishing a close second to Jared Schlipman.

Dunker, a two-time track champion and three-time runner-up, was frustrated again to win his first main event since Aug. 21, 2005. That was 96 features ago. (By the way, his brother, Pat, promises a world-class party once Tony breaks this skein.)

The cruel irony of the stgreak is that Dunker is the No. 2-ranked modified driver in the track’s 36-year history and No. 1 since the mods combined into one class in 2006.

Dunker has been the model of consistency with nin straight top-five finishes in the points, two off Hank DeLonjay’s modified track record. He can tie DeLonjay this season with an 11th straight top-10 finish in the points.

CENTURY MARK

Dunker won a heat race and dash Sunday, which pushed his career victory total to 98 since 1999, the year such numbers started being tracked. Two more wins and he will become only the third modified driver and fourth overall to reach 100 victories.

Career modified wins at Quincy (through May 30, 2010)
Michael Long, 154
Hank DeLonjay, 130
Tony Dunker, 98
Wyatt Lantza, 77
Vance Wilson, 67

All classes career wins (through May 30, 2010)
Mark Burgtorf, 185 (includes wins as modified driver)
Michael Long, 154
Hank DeLonjay, 138 (includes wins as late model driver)
Tony Dunker, 98
Eddie Dieker, 91
Lonnie Bailey, 88
Denny Woodworth, 82
Steve Carlin, 79
Wyatt Lantz, 77
Dave Wietholder, 73 (includes wins as bomber driver)

I have complete faith that dunk will make it he wants to be part of the awesome club. Maybe he lost some areo-dynamics with his new shorter hair cut, who knows but he’ll totally get this year I have faith. Props to him in his LM did you see it he passed people he’s getting better. Will be an interesting year all round. Stevie never had a fried twinkie sounds ify but my daddy did make me an awesome brat tonight. By the way whoever stole the salt give it BACK! C-YA Sunday

P.S. Feels kinda twilighty seeing mark finishes anything less than first makes me a little disoriented. :-)

Just a fan,

I think you’ve hit on it!!! Dunk needs to grow his hair longer again. Bring back the mullet, bring back the victories!

3. Girl Mod Fan says:

mullets + Hot Pink car = priceless win…. Maybe a few of us for that win can sneak in behind the photo guy with the dunker concret victory lane….. very close Dunk… Next wekk will be your week. Just dont stress out about it too much

Great might of racing anyway, just missed a few regulars, hope they did well where ever they where. Down with the sprint cars, that $10 bucks to get in, wasn’t worth it, God Bless the season pass….

Yay for loweing the large beer price!! Well at least for that night!!!

Cant wait to see ya all Sunday…. and Steive we will meet ha ha

4. racefan says:

Did anyone happen to notice that when Tony won the trophy dash, he gave his big trophy to the “Junior speedster”? He didn’t just give it to him to take to someone in the stands….he GAVE IT TO HIM!!! I know he always gives the Jr. speedsters a little trophy, but I really thought this was above and beyond! When he bent down to have his picture taken with the little fella, he even took the time to talk to him a few minutes, which judging by the look on the little boys face, meant a lot to that little racefan!
    Tony, from all of us who noticed, you have just made yourself a whole bunch of new fans!

5. TEAM4FAN says:

MR/MS RACEFAN : MY BROTHER (TONY) JUST TXT ME TO ASK IF I KNEW WHO YOU WERE , IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO FIND THE COMMENT HE WAS REFERRING TO , I THOUGHT MAYBE SOMEONE RUNNING HIM DOWN AGAIN , BUT ON THE CONTRARY …..

I AM JUST A SMALL PART OF TEAM4 (BIGGEST FAN & TOOL GETTER) BUT I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THEY FOLLOW “STEVIE-D” , AND , ON BEHALF OF ALL OF US ……..

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!!!!!

TONY IS A BIG PART OF RACING AT THE BULLRING & OFTEN THE CENTER OF SOME “CONTROVERSIAL” ATTENTION (that mainly comes from the way we promote TEAM4) BUT IF YOU EVER SEE HIM WITH THE LITTLE PEOPLE IN THE PITS AFTER THE SHOW , HE ALWAYS MAKES SURE TO MAKE TIME FOR THEM , NONE ARE PUSHED TO THE SIDE . THIS GOES DITTO FOR MR JUSTIN REED …. I AM EXTREMELY PROUD TO BE A SPONSOR OF TEAM4 AND WHEN I SEE COMMENTS LIKE YOURS , IT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT !!!!!!

ONCE AGAIN , THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!! === TEAM4

…come to find out , the little guys grampa told Tony he wanted to go to the pits to see him , but fell asleep , maybe a little red-bull next week & we can come up with a meeting for our new fan !!!!

6. Cory walton says:

Well enough about dunker, I’d like to know why I paid 20 bucks to get in to see 10 sprint cars? That was a bad turn out for The all stars.

7. racefan says:

TEAM4FAN, You’re welcome….I know Tony sometimes is criticized, but when it comes right down to it, how we treat children speaks VOLUMES about the kid of person we are. In my opinion, Tony’s actions with the Jr. Speedster Sunday evening showed me everything I needed to know to remain a loyal fan of Team 4! I look forward to watching him grow stronger in the late models (and I’m sure he will), and continue to dominate in the modifieds!
    Happy Racing!