It’s a big weekend, with plenty of big predictions …
1. Best bet to win late model midseason championship race: Court will be in session Sunday night when the red-hot late model lawyer, Denny Woodworth, wins his first midseason championship event.
2. Best bet to win modified midseason championship race: Michael Long. If he’s not there, the pick is Jared Schlipman, who is now officially “wicked fast.”
3. Best bet to win stock car midseason championship race: Terry Houston, who has been the most consistent performer in this series.
4. Best bet to win hobby stock midseason championship race: Bobby Anders. He looks unbeatable — again.
5. Driver who could emerge as second-half threat in late models: Bill Genenbacher, who has quietly climbed to fourth in points.
6. Driver who could emerge as second-half threat in modifieds: Tony Dunker is traditionally strongest in the second half, so don’t write him off yet. Here are the second-half points leaders since 2007:
Tony Dunker, 1,109 points
Robbie Reed, 1,007
Dave Wietholder, 988
Shawn Deering, 975
Michael Long, 970
Jared Schlipman, 840
Justin Reed, 741
Steven DeLonjay, 737
7. Driver who could emerge as second-half threat in stock cars: Jerry Jansen.
8. Driver who could emerge as second-half threat in hobby stocks: I still think Mike Wiley will be a factor before the end of points racing.
9. Best bet to be most popular figure at the track Sunday night: Hope Cernea, the new trophy girl.
10. Best bet for my first food purchase Sunday evening: We may opt for the funnel cake this week.
BLOG CONTRIBUTORS OF THE WEEK
Gold medal: Just when I had written him off for the week, “Team 4 Fan” comes through a classic string of comments, starting with Daisy Duke and the boots. Hail the first back-to-back gold medal winner.
Silver medal: “Girl Mod Fan,” bounced from the awards podium a week ago, rebounds in style with a strong week.
Bronze medal: Stock cars have been a hot topic the past week and fueling the fire has been “Kurtis,” a first-time medal recipient.