It looks like plenty of good news for the late models

November 29, 2010 42 Comments

Let’s cut to the chase. Good news should not have to wait.

Things are looking good for the late model class at the Bullring. There are some major, innovative concepts in the works and I am npw extremely optimistic about 2011.

Management at the track is understandably tight-lipped — “cautious” might be a better word – until everything falls into place and has politely declined any official comment.Track officials have hinted that in a week or so the final dominoes should fall into place, but I always have a hard time waiting to open my Christmas presents.

Here’s a quick rundown of what should transpire in the coming week to 10 days, from I have gathered from in-person conversations and other sources:

– Unless there is an unexpected development, Quincy Raceways will remain an IMCA track. There was constructive — and “cordial” I am told — discussions Sunday night during the meeting at Kutter’s Bar and Grill. Drivers, owners and track officials spent considerable time and effort going over all possibilities that also included UMP and at least two separate Crate affiliations.

– Representatives from 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa, were also in attendance and had some startling news from a positive perspective – very positive. West Burlington will run a much larger late model schedule than originally anticipated, missing only two (what would be IMCA points) nights, rather than almost half of the schedule like 2010.

– The other key involvement with West Burlington is a partnership between that track and Quincy to develop stronger late model fields. A separate point fund is in the works to be distributed to the top 10 combined point totals between the two tracks. For this to work, drivers from both sites have to commit to at last 75 percent of the dates at the opposite track. I am told the 12-15 Quincy drivers in attendance Sunday endorsed the idea, so it will come down to the West Burlington drivers, who will meet next Sunday. The idea figures to be a popular one with the Iowa hotshoes, too.

The exact amount for the point fund will also be announced in the near future and it should be a healthy four-figure number. The concept is called “Q34 Bonus Bucks” and it is mentioned today on the www.34raceway.com website.

– What this should mean is an average late model count of at least 20 each week at each site, which would be spectacular. Quincy is already anticipating in the neighborhood fo 20 wild things in its new four-cylinder class. Add to that an already healthy modified series, solid hobby stock division and a stock car class that also figures to get a boost. I hope to have some great news about the stock cars in the near future, too, but that puzzle is still missing some pieces and I don’t want to report anything I don’t have total confidence in.

QUINCY TRACK WORK UPDATE

Work continues there with the distribution of the dirt on the racing surface itself, and I was told Monday the next item on the agenda — as long as the winter weather holds off — is work in the pit area, which has been a sore spot that last couple of years.

Management is making a sincere effort to turn things around. I have absolutely no stake in Quincy Raceways, other than as a Sunday night fan and what we have seen since early October has been more than simply encouraging — from the work on the facility itself to the myriad off-track situations being addressed there has been a needed breath of fresh air and optimism.

I told a friend today I am really looking forward to the Jan. 22 banquet. I feel that will be day one in a new and exciting part of the history of the Bullring. There remains a long way to go — more work will be need to be done on the racing surface (not only this fall but in the spring), and there are still issues to be finalized with the various weekly series, but think back to last season, especially the second half. There was legitimate concern about the future of “our” Bullring. For the most part, that is now in the past.

And more and more each day, I like what I see for the future.

More and more it sounds like ’11 is going to be the come back year for dirt track racin at the bullring!!! I cant wait!!! Oooo ants in thy pants!

2. flyby says:

Sounds like good news. 34 raceway is probably licking their lips since Lee County pitched the Late Models. Hopefully it works out and both tracks have a solid 20 car field every week.

Anyone want to wager on how many Late Models will run both Quincy and 34 raceway more than 75% of the season?

3. bullringfan says:

How about expanding this idea to Lee county speedway for the stock cars? that should bring the car count up by a few cars.

min of 13 per race night…. But it will be everyones job to “spread the good news” about the bullring if improvements are made just right!!! The bullring will be the come back kid! Watching some racing on youtube, fuels my fire, Dang we had some great 3 way racing, gives ya goosebumps just watching it!

5. Tim says:

I believe Quincy is interested in doing a 3 track points idea for the Stock Cars… If they could get that, I can almost guarantee we would have some GREAT turnouts in ALL classes

6. GFTL 34 says:

based on what i have heard it truly sounds good to me and the team i’m associated with. on the 3 or 4 weekends when 34 raceway has no late modles that would be a good time for quincy to also give us a break and bring in a special for crates, sprints or another traveling special. i’ve always said it would be nice to have one or two scheduled weekends off for vacationing plans.
    can’t wait to hear the official announcment.

7. quincyracing says:

never ever workout. worst ideal yet

8. quincyracing says:

They had a meeting only invited IMCA late model drivers and wonder why they voted IMCA so much for trying to growing the track with new drivers. Total new IMCA latemodel drivers in the whole series was 4 last year nation wide total new UMP drivers 346. What class is growing you tell me. Quincy has added 1 new driver in IMCA latemodels in the passed 3 years. unless you count dunker for 3 races

Yay! I love those little flags.

10. Skip says:

quincyracing,

i enjoy this blog tremendously and love all the comments. I only make a comment myself every so often when i read somethign so outrageous i can’t keep quiet. You make absolutely no sense. Your comment about only imca drivers at the meeting… well duh … isn’t quincy an imca track? hasn’t it been for close to 15 years? what other drivers would you expect to be there? did you REALLY say that? the way i understand it the meeting was about to see if they wanted to change to ump or whatever.

some of those “imca” drivers also race ump. they must have liked what they heard or they wouldn’t have wanted to stay imca. if quincy became a ump track what “new” drivers would it attract? how many would come up from the springfield area or st. louis area ? use your head. what kind of stupid statement was that?

i’m no genius, but it looks like quincy is trying to (re)build from its strength, not trying to reinvent the wheel. making a change for no sound reason or guarantee would be stupid.

i’ve been around dirt tracks my whole life. my family was involved in racing. i think this is a very sound move.

what else could they have done? bring in crates? give me a break. i’d rather watch the hornets. quincy had two crate shows and almost no drivers showed up. that would be a great move, wouldn’t it?

i was one of the biggest critics of quincy the last year, but i give them credit now. it looks like thigns are back on track. and for someone like you to make stupid comments like that shows no common sense at all.

Skip

11. quincyracing says:

Just spent a little time on imca website they only have 12 out almost 150 of there tracks that run IMCA late models 2 in il and 10 in iowa and only six of thoses run full imca latemodels and only 3 are within 3 hr drive from quincy. Now Ump late or crates. Out of almost 400 tracks 321 run lates and or crates 11 tracks with 3 hr drive of quincy. What is going to bring more latemodels to quincy and fans. Would you rather watch a ump summer sieries race or a deary show. That will answer alot of your question.We all love quincy raceways and what it to grow not die. So lets get on board with the growth and start running the classes that are growing all over the nation.

12. quincyracing says:

skip i heard tony dunker out his own mouth say he was not racing at quincy raceway in 2011 so why would you even care or comment on a late model subject and if you were trying to grow your car count would you send out a invitation to any and all drivers who may run quincy raceways in 2011 ump ulma imca fastrack nesmith all drivers. Unless you did not want to grow the track and keep them same drivers with no new ones. Yes Quincy has a good bunch of drivers but needs more I also have been around racing for a while and ran few other companies and know for a fact without growth and new blood nothing last for ever. Dan Griffin 217-430-2277.

13. quincyracing says:

oh and skip read your own statement they were thinking about going to ump so why would you not invite ump drivers.25 percent of the drivers there voted against it and 25 percent more where against it till 34 speedway said they would also not run imca latemodels unless quincy did. They said they lose money on every latemodel race except for Pepsi and the slocum 50 that they have.

14. quincyracing says:

just the facts get on the bus or get ran over by it.

I like the DB shows better myself. Stevie does it throw you off when skip posts in lower case and uses his name instead of team4. I’m a little discombobulated. (spell check that).
    Ump didn’t sound lika a feesible(?) plan for here or the other 2 tracks so not sure why people are speculating over something that never was. Ok 3 deep breaths, but your thumb on your bellybutton and exhale spin to your left and just let it go.
    123 Days left go, and 7 more till I need my new firesuit Buddy. I’d make you a giant cake but I can’t bake if my life depended on it, so how bout I get ya a cake with one of those people in it.

JAF,

“Skip” is not “SKIP” or “SKIPPY” …

…one of “those” cakes? woo-hoo!!!

Ummmm do we have a skip JR?? Cuz I know im sooooooo lost now!!! Everyone just remember to each their own! What one enjoys the others may think is booooooooring, the good thing bout here is we can sling mud and yet bob sled together with others. Thats what makes racing such a great sport!! I dont drive, I dont sponsor, I dont own anything besides a season pass, but I love the sport and like to tell what I think or dont think lol it varies day to day. Sooooo lets have a beer n roll with it =-D

18. mendon fan says:

I think I have to agree with Skip in this argument. Why would Quincy promoters want to invite all of those other kind of drivers? They aren’t the ones who will be racing at Quincy every week. That doesn’t even make sense. The drivers who will race there every week voted for IMCA. I was not there, but I was told by severalk people who WERE there the meeting went very good and that differenr drivers spoke in support of different things–UMP, crates, IMCA, etc. In the end the majority voted for IMCA. The deal with Burlington sounds like a good one.

Most nights last season there were about 13, 14 or 15 late models and that did not include Burgtorf, Frankel and a couple of others who would normally have been there in the past. If those guys all come back most weeks and throw in five or six from Burlington on a pretty regular basis that will be a good field.

I don’t mean any disrespect to quincy racing, but THOSE are the facts. If the track does its job the cars will be there and it seems they are making every effort to make up for last season. Get on the bus or get ran over by it (sorry quincy racing, i couldn’t resist). Ha!

19. boom says:

all i have to say is where were u at dan ????? the invite was for all late model drivers and owners did not specify quincy drivers only just my 2 cents Joe Bliven

Blog readers,

I can see there is some confusion with two of our posters, “Skip” and “SKIP” (or “SKIPPY”). I will e-mail “Skip” and ask him to use a different name since “SKIP” was here first.

S. Dirt

21. flyby says:

Griffin of course you want crate. You have a crate car. Quincy had a few crate races and not many showed up. Just think how many would show up weekly. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was 8-9 cars.

On another note. I REALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY hope this deal with 34 raceway works. It all sounds good. But think about it people. How many cars that race 34 raceway will start coming to Quincy on a Sunday night? My guess is maybe 5 cars from 34 will commit to 75% of races. If you are thinking any more than that, you will be dissapointed. (I do hope I’m wrong though) If they started at 530 I think that could be a deal breaker and you would attract maybe 2 or 3 more cars. But what do you think these drivers will want on a Sunday. An hour less sunshine on the racing surface or an hour more sleep before work Monday morning? GO BACK TO 530 RACE TIME!

22. Mendon,il says:

You got that right flyby, Spoon river average that car count. Yes I argee with skip. Imca will bring a larger car count to quincy then Ump. For one point i dont think those drivers from st. louis area and springfield area would show unless they where going for national points and i doubt that either. Plus some of them drivers race in MLRA series and i think they race most of them on the weekends. Maybe Quincy can have Mlra race in the future. Went to the one at 24 speedway Moberly 2 year ago and they had a good car count before it rained. Congrats to Terry Phillips for big Modified win out west

23. quincyracing says:

Joe I asked to go was told no by Tony . And I understand everone thought and concerns but time will tell if this will work or not . Just wondering how far away is Burlington ? and how far away is New Berlin shepps ? Spoon river is 1hr 30 mins. But for some reason you think that cars will pull from Burlington Ia but not from these two tracks? New racers yes try to keep as many current ones as you can but try to GROW.

24. Tim says:

My thoughts:

Those UMP/Crate/MLRA… All of those tracks are around 2-3 hours away.

UMP: Most of the Quincy guys can not afford those cars! Lets keep it reasonable… Remember not everyone is rich!
    MLRA: Same as UMP
    Crate: A lot of drivers feel like this is a step DOWN! Yes it is cheaper though for most people! (Unless you tinker with things ;-) I do feel like this is a growing class though!

IMCA: We will have two/three tracks who support IMCA less than 1.5 hours from Quincy. Lets not make everyone spend a crap ton of money!

Just my thoughts! I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a great new year… I’m hoping JAF & GMF get a Late Model and Modified respectively for Christmas!!!

25. spanky says:

This isn’t NASCAR… And Quincy Raceways is not trying to produce NASCAR drivers! The next best thing is Little Bobby Pierce, not anyone from Quincy… JUST SAYING!

26. Tim says:

Just read where New Berlin/Shepps is looking to cut back their Late Models as well. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I have to give props to Quincy for keeping up with the WEEKLY show, not a hit and miss show!

27. TEAM4FAN says:

THERE IS ONLY ONE SKIPP !!!! BUT THAT OTHER CAT HAS A GOOD THOUGHT PROCESS … !!!!!

DOWN WITH THE WHINERS ! ! ! ! ! !

BTW DANNY , DIDNT YOU SAY EARLIER THAT YOU & YOUR “DRIVER” HAVE ONLY TWO MORE YEARS OF DEALING WITH THIS DAMM DIRT RACING , THEN ITS ALL ASPHALT ????? THEN WHY COMPLAIN ? BIDE THE TIME & MOVE ON , YOU WILL BE MISSED

BRING ON THE DEERY SPECIALS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

== SKIPP SEE YA AT THE BANQUET

28. GFTL 34 says:

speaking of 5:30 vs 6:30 start times, did i not read where the fans (and drivers) voted last fall overwelmingly for the 530 slot. with a 5th class, listen to the voting polls and go to 530pm.
    either way Stevie, i’ll take 100.00 on the over and give you 2 to 1 odds :)
    PS: and shame on me i should have more faith in the “new quincy” promisses being made.

Sweeeeeeet I am putting up the big tree this year!! Can anyone say racin suit as a stocking stuffer!!!

Im rolling the dice in thinking next year is going to be a GREAT year! Love the passion you people bring though!!

HA HA…….SILENCE FROM QUINCYRACING??
    TALK ABOUT GETTING HIT BY THE BUS, GOT HIT AND DIDNT KNOW “WHO” WAS DRIVING IT.

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING D.G, YOU HEARD ME SAY, ACTUALLY SAW ME SAY IT, MY EXACT WORDS WERE “ITS GONA TAKE MORE THAN SEEING EQUIPMENT ON THE TRACK AND DIRT BEING “MOVED” TO CONVINCE ME THAT THE TRACK WILL BE BETTER IN 2011 AND FOR ME TO RACE THERE IN 2011, I’M NOT RACING AT QUINCY NEXT YEAR UNLESS THEY GET A DECENT TRACK TO RACE ON” WHICH MEANS NO I WILL NOT BE RACING THERE OPENING NITE OR THE SECOND WEEK OR THE THIRD WEEK, MAYBE NOT THE 17TH WEEK DEPENDING ON HOW OUR FRIDAY & SATURDAY NITE RACING SCHEDULE GOES. AND YES I KNOW, QUINCY RACEWAYS WILL NOT CLOSE DOWN JUST BECAUSE “TONY DUNKER” IS NOT RACING THERE AND THATS GREAT, BUT ON THE SAME NOTE TONY DUNKER WILL STILL RACE EVEN IF HE DONT RACE AT QUINCY, ITS THAT SIMPLE AND WE ARE ALL HAPPY :)
    I LOOK FORWARD TO GOING OUT AND WATCHING ON SUNDAY NITES WITH MY LIL GUY WHEN I CAN. I HOPE THINGS TURN AROUND AND THEY HAVE 30-35 CARS IN EACH CLASS THAT THERE IS NO DUST, THAT THEY FIND A WAY TO SELL A SODA FOR A BUCK FITTY AND A HOTDOG FOR A DOLLAR AND THE STANDS ARE SO PACKED THEY HAFTA PUT A WALK WAY ON TURNS 1 AND 4 FOR THE EXTRA FANS.
    I AM ACTUALLY HOPING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OFFER TO SIT IN THE BOOTH A TIME OR TWO AND SEE WHY THINGS ARE SOOOO CONFUSING SOMETIMES.

ANYWAYS HAVE A GREAT DAY – WEEK – WINTER

T DUNKER 617-9444

31. quincyracing says:

Team 4 fan my love for racing is for all types hopefully you can understand that . And few people could aurgue about my commit to quincy so my concern comes as a quincian and want whats good for the furture of Quincy. Spanky Bobby Pierce is a great Driver and with the curret IMCA rules could race a Hornet now that he turn 14 but would have to wait 2 more years to race a late model in IMCA So the last 3 years he could not of driven anything in IMCA. And who from Quincy would not want to see a Quincy driver make it to nascar. Who ever that may be We all talk about Dale Fishline working in nascar and mutiable others we are proud they ran in Quincy the Wallaces and more it give us pleasure thinking about thoses drivers just coming to are track.

Aw Spanky why you gotta be such a buzz kill? No one said this is Nascar and you never know 1 day a local could make who knows but it doesn’t mean we can’t still have competitive races on dirt in the Tri-States. I think you should be buzzed. No cake for you.

Aw geez, Tony … I hope you change your mnind. I had a new nickname ready for you in 2011.

34. 4 FOREVER says:

WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER! WE WANT DUNKER!

I want to see the Dunker twins out there….. Head liner… Dunker boys vs. blonde chicks!!!

36. troy grotz says:

sound s like a great idea for the late models, 2 tracks and combined point fund should make for alot of the ia. drivers to come down and race, and i also agree with dunker, not sure if we are gonna race there this year or not gonna see what happens with the track and track offcials before we make a move on where to race, with mods you can pretty much race anywhere you want on fridays and sat. nights and if we dont get tore up the night before we may venture out to the bullring. Gotta see what the car owner thinks but right now he really doesnt no what to do with the way the track is gonna be. just have to wait and see i guess. But i do hope QR is in great shape i have fun racing there most of the time.

OK a little funny that Dunker kept refering to himself in 3rd person during that speech. And what in the world is wrong with you people didn’t you mother ever tell you fellas not to give your # out to strangers. Uh now who knows what crazies have it, and fair warning sometimes GMF gets the uncontrollable urge to randomly text at 3 am.

38. flyby says:

Wasn’t it one of the Dunkers who said Boycotting the track would be the most stupid thing ever. Boy, shows how true their word is!

lol….. sissy…. Imma get you!!! I know where you live, work, n play!!!

40. Schlip says:

Boys and girls… i hope dunker and everyone else that WANTS TO RACE comes out to see if the track is good or bad… if good then awesome.. lets have fun, but if bad.. who can blame anyone for not wanting to come… i think it is more on the track prep than the drivers…. hell show up and if it isn’t to good… make one lap collect the $100 for starting… we will lose much more through the year in fuel and parts.. i would almost promise… and take the 10-15 min drive back to the shop and figure out where the best travel will be… just think it is to close to home to not give it at least one shot…..maybe two.. especially for the sponsors that LOVE to see us out there….. as some others have done… J Schlip 217-242-5580

p.s. tony dunker read speedblitz.net…. my interview… lol i think it will make an offseason laugh for you… don’t plan on making that anything in the future

41. quincyracing says:

Schip makes good points We will be there in the mod at the beginning and see how it gos just wish Jake could do double duty .

42. TEAM4FAN says:

YEP , THAT WAS ME FLYBY ….. WHO IS BOYCOTTING ??? EVEN IF TONY DOESNT RACE AT HOME , HE STILL HAS 2 OTHER CARS ON THE TRACK ON SUNDAY ……. HMMMM ??? SHUT UP !!!!

SCHLIPPY 42 — A.K.A. “THE VOICE OF REASON ( YOU SURE THAT DEGREE ISNT IN PHILOSOPHY ??)

== SKIPP