DeLonjay should emerge on top in a strong, deep series

March 31, 2011 29 Comments

Steven DeLonjay

(This is the third of a four-part series involving the 2011 Stevie Dirt championship picks for Quincy Raceways. The season begins Sunday, April 3.)

Let’s cut right to the chase. Two-time champ Michael Long probably will miss a week of  points racing here and there, so that eliminates him from the discussion of who will win the modified track title. If Michael is in the house every weekend this season, he is the clear-cut choice, but he probably won’t be.

Justin Reed, who won the 2009 championship in his rookie season in a mod, won’t win the title either. Reed was part of the Team Four compound, which is now down to one ride, the No. 4 of boss man Tony Dunker, who recently sold the other team cars and may do more traveling this season. (More about that in a minute.)

So who is the favorite?

HOW WE SEE THE MODIFIEDS FINISHING

1. Steven DeLonjay: I think we are about to see the beginning of the second era of DeLonjay dominance at the Bullring. This will be Steven’s fourth year as a modified regular. In his first three he never finished lower than third in points. Steven’s dad, Hank, won 13 track titles, including 10 in a modified. This should be No. 1 in a mod for the second generation.

Why he will win: He may only be a year removed from high school, but his time seems to have arrived. He’s come oh-so-close three straight years, and the law of percentages, of which I am a subscriber, seems to be leaning in Steve-O’s direction.

Why he won’t win: Because there are about a dozen other drivers in this class also capable of holding the big iron come late August.

2. Dave Wietholder: Dave’s highest series points finish is third in both 2006 and 2005, and he’s never finished farther back than seventh. That consistency is due to move him very, very close to that first mod championship.

3. Jared Schlipman: Jared is the defending champion, but being able to go back-to-back in this series at this point in time might be next to impossible. It’s that law of percentages thing.

Dark horse: Shawn Deering has never finished outside the top 10 in points in his first five years in this division, but has yet to climb higher than fifth. This might be the year.

Comeback of the year: Tony Dunker. I have no knowledge or inside information, just a gut feeling. But I am predicting No. 4 will compete full-time, or close to it. Last year’s  seventh-place finish in points was an aberration, especially considering he finished in the top four in points nine consecutive years before that.

2010 POINTS LEADERS

1997: Greg Uppinghouse
1996: Lonnie Carter
1995: Lonnie Carter
1994: Lowell Short
1993: Chuck Carter

1. Mike says:

This is just a thought and could be completely wrong but I am starting to think the reason Tony Dunker decided to sell his cars and pretty much just drop Team Four and race here in town is because he was being over shadowed and he doesn’t like being in the background. Its like he threw a huge temper tantrum and decided if he couldn’t be number one then he would squash a good thing. Justin Reed was becoming the face of Team Four and Tony Dunker was become just the supplier. Must have been hard for the old man to have to take a step back and let someone else get the attention. I don’t think he could handle being second best, if he was even that………….

2. Marisa Roach says:

Wow Mike! You know it all dont you?!!!??? First off, before you throw your opinion out there you should prob. check yourself. Not sure who you are or how long you have been around racing but it takes many many hours and thousands of dollars to keep two racecars going. Tony worked 7 days a week and spent a lot of his money to keep team 4 together and did a damn good job of it!!! Justin did an awesome job in the 4st…. and Tony by no means would take that away from him or feel like he was “over shadowed” by him or anyone else… him and Justin were a TEAM and a damn good one! Tony made the choice as the “bossman” to sell the cars, get a new one and to travel this year BECAUSE he IS the bossman and he can do that last time I checked!! I support him 110%! But thanks for the laugh this morning Mike.

INTERESTING THOUGHT AND YES MIKE, YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG AS YOU STATED.
    NOT THAT I NEED TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO YOU BUT HERE YA GO, AND BY THE WAY BEFORE I START, WHAT DO YOU DO THAT MAKES YOU SUCH A SUPER HERO AND WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU WENT OUT OF YOUR WAY AND SPENT 3 STRAIGHT WEEKS DURING THE WINTER, NITE AFTER NITE 7 DAYS A WEEK AND GOT A TOP NOTCH MODIFIED READY FOR THE FIRST RACE OF THE YEAR AND WORKED ON IT 2-3 DAYS A WEEK 3-4 HRS A NITE TO BE “RACE READY” AND IN CONDITION TO BE A TOP CONTENDER CAR WEEK IN & WEEK OUT. YES IN CASE YOU FAILED TO NOTICE, MY #4ST CAR THAT JUSTIN DROVE WAS 100% GONE THRU WITH NEW BOLT ON PARTS & A COMPLETE NEW BODY & WRAP FOR THE START OF THE 2010 SEASON & THE #4 CAR THAT I PERSONALLY DRIVE TOOK THE TRACK IN 2010 THE WAY I PULLED IT OFF THE TRACK IN 2009.

AND TO FURTHER ARGUE YOUR STATEMENT, “IF” YOU WERE A CAR OWNER, BETTER YET THE OWNER OF TWO CARS, WHO WOULD YOU PICK TO DRIVE YOUR SECOND CAR? SOMEONE THAT YOU COULD BEAT NITE AFTER NITE? NOPE, DIDNT THINK SO, IF THAT WAS THE CASE I WOULD HAVE CHOSE “YOU”. JUSTIN WAS CHOSEN BECAUSE OF HIS DRIVING SKILLS AND UNDERSTANDING OF RACE CAR SET UPS AND I BELIEVE HIS INVOLVEMENT IN TEAM FOUR HELPED HIS LATE MODEL RACE PROGRAM AS MUCH AS IT HELPED OUR MODIFIED PROGRAM.

HOPE THAT CLEARS UP THE “SO CALLED THOUGHTS” IN YOUR HEAD AND WHEN YOU GET YOUR NEXT FREE MINUTE ASK YOURSELF WHY:

MIKE KARHOFF RETIRED FROM RACING? WHY SAM BURGTORF RETIRED WHEN AT THE TOP OF HIS GAME? AND WHY MARK BURGTORF TOOK TIME AWAY FROM HIS RACING SCHEDULE TO MAKE TIME TO SPEND WITH HIS SON AND OTHER FAMILY ACTIVITIES?

IS IT ALL STARTING TO MAKE SENSE TO YOU NOW? I’V NEVER HEARD SOMEONE SAY SO MUCH AND KNOW SO LITTLE AS “YOU”
    IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS IN THE FUTURE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO “ASK” & NOT ASSUME

WE ALL HAVE OUR REASONS WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO, I HAVE MINE AND I AM WHO I AM ! ! ! !

“I AM NUMBER FOUR ! ! ! !”

IN YOUR CASE, WELCOME TO THE TONY DUNKER “HATERS CLUB”

TEAM FOUR BOSS – T DUNKER

P.S – I HAVE JUSTIN REEDS PHONE # IF YA WANNA GET HIS THOUGHTS AS WELL

Now mike are you friends with TD? Does he call you on the phone? Do you play text tag? If you answered no then you know Jack and should probably just Shhhh. Then go and play with your scarf and see if you can make a good enough knot to go hang. Praying for sunny skies for Sunday. C-yall there (fingers crossed) ;-)

5. bullringfan says:

Hey Tony…..STOP YELLING!! you are louder than a full field of modifieds taking the green flag on a sunday night!! LOL :)

6. jw says:

another clairvoyant visionary who can tell the difference between s–t and applebutter by doing a simple taste test ! this is the crap that ruins racing ! go ahead and take a taste test . maybe you’ll get lucky

7. onthebubble says:

TEAM FOUR ? WHAT TEAM.TO MANY IRONS IN THE FIRE ? BURNED OUT.

Wowzers!!! Tony they either love you or hate you little buddy! You should make t-shirts and sign autographs

Practice tonight was like a boys wet dream!! Tons of late models and them boys are looking GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait for tomorrow! Never wished the weekend so quickly get over for Saturday so that we can be out there Sunday!! Its like Christmas only better!!!!!!!!!! Oooo Dirt you missed an awesome time!!!!

Well heckers, I just read my last post and good lordy you would think I would have been drinking :-D I really just read that and got confused all over again!!! The excitement just gets me!

11. bullringfan says:

let’s hope the weather man is wrong,if not,mother nature when her first features of the year:(

12. bullringfan says:

supposed to be mother nature will win. Wow,i just got off of work,haven’t even had time to start drinking yet!! lol

13. terry houston says:

hey GMF how about any stock cars, any new faces,any faces at all ?

I GOOGLED “onthebubble” AND JEALOUS UNDECISIVE DUNCE CAME UP.

SO TO YOU “onthebubble” #2 MEMBER TO THE TONY DUNKER “HATE CLUB”, I OFFER YOU THE SAME I DID “flyby”, I WILL BE GLAD TO READ YOUR BIOGRAPHY AND LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS YOU’VE HAD IN YOUR LIFE IF YOU CARE TO SHARE THEM WITH ME AND THE REST OF THE QRW FANS ON WHIG.COM

MAYBE YOU SHOULD REREAD MY 1ST COMMENT AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST BECAUSE POSTING WHAT YOU DID AFTER READING MY POST MAKE YOU SOUND LIKE A DUMB A$$

BY THE WAY……….WHAT CAR NUMBER WILL YOU BE DRIVING THIS YEAR?????

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“I AM NUMBER FOUR”

15. Flyby says:

Why is everyone arguing with a bmod driver who struggles to get a top 5 on his home track in an a modified and quit racing late models after a few weeks because he couldn’t handle it and ended one guys season.He thinks hes the Team 4 god. Dont tell him your opinion unless you have your biography with you.If it doesn’t compare to his then you are worthless. Go back to bmods Dunker.You might win a few.

Mr Houston there were cars there but no announcer to help me…. Sorry :)

HAHA THERES MY OLE BUDDY FLYBY, BEEN MISSIN YOU. THOUGHT I EMBARRASSED YOU & RAN YOU OFF WHEN I ASKED FOR YOUR LIST OF LIFE ACCOMPLISHMENTS, MUSTA JUST BEEN ASHAMED TO LIST THEM

YOUR LAST POST IS CORRECT TO A POINT AS FAR AS MY RECORDS SHOW, BUT I DO HAVE ONE ARGUMENT, 9 STRAIGHT YEARS FINISHING THE TOP 4 IN POINTS FOR THE YEAR, WHEN I DO THE MATH THAT MEANS TOP 5’S COME PRETTY EASY, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU THROW IN THE 6-7 NITES A YEAR THAT I TEAR MY AND OTHER DRIVERS EQUIPMENT UP AND DONT FINISH, SO WHEN YOU FIGURE IN THOSE 12TH TO 15TH PLACE FINISHES I WOULD SAY MY AVERAGE FINISH IS BETTER THAN A TOP 5, YOU MUST HAVE FORGOT TO CARRY THE “1” WHEN YOU DID THE MATH.

I BELIEVE THE BIG POINT YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND IS I GET ALONG AND RESPECT ALL THE DRIVERS IN THE MODIFIED DIVISION AND CONGRADULATE THEM WHEN THEY WIN, SO LONG STORY SHORT NO I AM NOT ASHAMED TO FINISH BEHIND LONG, WIETHOLDER,R REED, J REED, DELONJAY OR WHOEVER IT MAY BE. YOU ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE A FAVORITE DRIVER THAT ISNT ME AND THAT WILL NOT CHANGE IF I WIN OR LOSE FEATURES

HECK MAYBE SOME SUNDAY NITE WHEN YOUR NOT TO EMBARRASSED TO PRESENT YOURSELF MAYBE YOU CAN BUY ME A BEER IN THE STANDS AND WE CAN SIT TOGETHER AND YOU CAN TELL ME WHO IS GONA WIN ALL THE FEATURES, SINCE YOU ARE SO GOOD TO SAY “I TOLD YOU SO” ON MONDAYS

HOPEFULL SEE YA TOMMORROW PAL :)

P.S – WHO IS YOUR MOD DRIVER PICK OF THE YEAR? NO IF ANDS OR BUTTS, WHO YA PICKIN?

18. MLS says:

Terry – The only stock car I recall from last night was a white #28. He normally races at Shepp’s, but I guess the 2011 season at Shepp’s is up in the air??? I think he might have been at practice on Wednesday when you were there, but I can’t remember for sure. By the way, love the red. :-)

19. MendonKnight says:

Hey flyby when Quincy Raceways gets a kids go go power wheels division i can hook you up with my nieces Barbie Jeep. Because thats abouth the only thing you can probaly drive.

20. Flyby says:

Delonjay will win points. Barbie jokes awww how cute

21. Qcy Godfather says:

Tony I am so proud of you. You have finally achieved that great ability that only a few of us have. You can upset the Bullring fans and not even be at the track. You learned well my student. I will make sure your spaghetti has extra meatballs in it next week.

Sincerely:

The Godfather

Wow seriously! I’m a team4fan but really who gives a flying hoot if TD drives in quincy or not. (while QR is special to me for I grew up going there & for the closeness to home. I realize there are better and faster tracks. To all the talent out there spread your wings and fly and take names while doing it.) The modifieds will still have a decent field as will the other classes. Wish TD lots of luck and excitemet where ever he choses to race may he win many, wreck few , and apologize to none. Frankly fans (I included) post all you want put JMO or just saying or a good “I could be wrong here” because really thats all were doing and we have just as much right as the drivers to post. For multiple reasons we can’t all be drivers & last I checked this wasn’t a drivers only blog. Drivers post all you want on your first hand knowledge and your own speculations its your right and as a fan I enjoy it. We understand its a lot of work and time and frustration to have a car ready every week. But it’s also your choice. We’re all freaking human with the exception of 1 or 2. So enjoy this blog and try not to grumble and scream idiot everytime you read.

Gold dunce award of the week- QR track operators. Safety 1st pamela purse! Anytime cars are out there running there should be proper emergency personal.
    Silver- Mike, flyby- Do you take your laptops to the crapper to see if you can make it come out both ends simultaneously. (BIG WORD)
    Bronze- The weatherman all they do is forecast doom and gloom. Gee would a little sunshine kill ya. JoyKills. ;-)

P.S. Expanding my options to win so if anyone wants to sell a t-shirt let me know. WINNING!!!

My bad taking my pill now. Good luck this year Houston and congrats Dave on a good run last night may he kick heinie in Pevely tonight. Fish hugs are a big incentive.

24. 18L Fan says:

Not to take anything away from Steven, but I heard that Michael was running for the UMP Points. So now with Quincy and Scottland County being in that region, I really look for Michael to make every night at Quincy. If that happens, well I for see a champion ship in his future…. Just sayin!!!! The guy can drive!!!

25. 35 modfan says:

yes he can and if u ask steven he wants michael out there every night its great watchin them 2 go back and forth racing on the track and get so close to each other and have the respect not to touch one another should be a great year good luck to all the drivers BRING ON THE ICE COLD BUD LIGHTS AND LOTS OF DIRT

26. flyby says:

I didn’t know Michael was running full time at Quincy. Yeah he will win Quincy points Championship.

27. fan418 says:

Amen to that!! Just curious as to why in the article in the QHW today about QR…..Talking about the modifieds..who will challenge Schlipman…Michael Long was not mentioned at all. Maybe Stevie Dirt has forgotten the past few years at QR. I also wish Steven and Jerad tons of luck. They are both good guys with a ton of talent. But…don’t ever count out 18L!!!!

Fan418,

No, I didn’t “forget” about Michael. If you read the above blog, you’ll notice I said if Michael runs for the points championship he is definitely the favorite, just like Mark Burgtorf in the late models. If Michael doesn’t wan run full-time I like Steven’s chances this year.

Let’s go racin’!!

Time to stop typing and time to start cheering… The typing will continue at the end of the night!!! Were going green boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)