The forecast is rather difficult to even begin to try and figure out this far away from the weekend, but the reports at this point of the week do not look promising, do they? With that in mind, here are our weekly predictions for Sunday night at 8000 Broadway:
1. Storm clouds: I’d say our chances of seeing a checkered flag Sunday night are about the same as seeing Albert Pujols in a Cardinals uniform next season. Just not going to happen. I’ve been keeping track of rainouts since 2004 and I don’t believe we’ve had three washouts in a row in that period. I think — the key word is think — the last time that happened was 2001, but I would not bet my restrictor plate on it.
2. Welcome back: But if we do race, I predict we’ll see late model hotshoes Dustin Neese and Ron Elbe. I wonder how long (if ever?) it has been since the first time those guys raced in a season would be in May?
3. In this corner … : Rain or shine, I’m for seeing blog contributor Dave “The Blue Oval” Moore and all of his Chevy buddies wrestle for the manufacturer’s championship in a vat of Jell-O in front of the concession stand.
4. Can we get a hug?: According to pal “flyby” Keith Pratt and Matt Bailey were mixing it up in the feature last Saturday at 34 Raceway in West Burlington, Iowa. Keith says “flyby” is nuts, but I think we need a group hug just to make certain everything is OK.
5. Bottoms up: Some say hobby stocker Steve Carlin’s nickname will always be “Tea Man,” while others seem to like the Randy “Macho Man” Savage thing. I say we have Steve chug a gallon of raspberry Snapple at the start-finish line and tell us which one he prefers.
6. Moving up the charts: I say if there is a rainout, announcer “Pretty Doug” Mealy entertains us with that deep baritone of his, singing the greatest hits of Charlie Rich and the Statler Brothers.
8. Over/Under: If there’s racing, I think because of the two week-layoff there will be a little rustiness getting the cars lined up, etc … so I look for an 8-minute delay. And what does Kenny Pratt think?
9. Sandwich of the week: Whether we race or not, I’m getting a chili dog somewhere. Is Team Four cooking out?
10. Modified cautions: The track will be slick if there’s racing, so I’m shooting high — 13.