Power was restored to the Stevie Dirt compound Tuesday evening, so let’s get this thing cranked up again. I will never ever take things like e-mail and Internet access for granted again. I didn’t mind the showering or trying to get dressed in the dark, or even no television, but I missed this blog and hearing from all of you who read it and take part.
Wednesday is midseason championship night at the Bullring. Here are some thoughts:
1. A new beginning?: The midseason races signify the end of the a first half that, more than anything else, was frustrating. All the rain, the constant interruptions to our race season and absolutely no continuity had just about everyone on edge. Let’s hope tonight’s races are exciting with no off-track drama and serve as a much-needed kick-start to the second half.
2. Let the sun shine in: For those old enough to appreciate that Fifth Dimenson/”Aquarius” reference, I hope the weather forecast is accurate. It almost looks too good to be true.
3. But who’s counting?: It is the end of June and we have run exactly six shows. Six. S-i-x. And two of them have been run on week nights.
4. Start of a big five days: After tonight’s midseason championship races, we can look forward to Sunday night and the return of the Deery Brothers Summer Series. Two big shows like that in such a short period can trigger quite a bit of enthusiasm from both fans and drivers alike.
5. Looking forward to … : The return of Tony Dunker at some point in the early part of the second half of the season. He should have that new car in shape before long.
6. Midseason championship race picks: I like Denny Woodworth in the late models, Jared Schlipman in the modifieds, Aaron Brocksieck in the stock cars, Steve Carlin in hobby stocks and Casey Kendrick in the wild things.
7. Late model dark horse to watch in second half: Matt Bailey is flying a bit under the radar at the moment. I think we’ll see a big second half from No. 52.
8. Modified dark horse to watch in second half: Vance Wilson is primed for a big second half. He needed a few weeks to shake down that rebuilt B1.
9. Stock car dark horse to watch in second half: Who else but Mr. Second Half, Terry Houston.
10. Hobby stock dark horse to watch in second half: Jake Powers, the Prince of Cheaterville, is knocking on the door on his breakout season. Look for him to knock that door down in July, August and September.
See you at the midseason championship races!