Soggy track conditions force cancellation

July 24, 2011 11 Comments

Quincy Raceways officials pulled the plug shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday when track conditions would not allow the program to begin. A mid-afternoon rain was the culprit in the cancellation.

Ticket stubs will be good for next Sunday, July 31. There will be no mid-week makeup.

There were 11 late models, 13 modifieds, 8 stock cars, 13 hobby stocks and 11 wild things in the pits.

The call was disappointing, but it was correct. The track was not going to be raceable and too much expensive equipment would have been torn up.

An interesting matchup that was washed out was the return of Michael Long in the modified class. Current points leader Steven DeLonjay would have been going for a sixth straight feature victory, which would have matched Long’s track record established in both 2008 and 2007.

REGIONAL RECAP

Lee County Speedway, Donnellson, Iowa: Former Quincy “B” modified track champ Wyatt Lantz won the modified feature over Josh Foster, Tyler Cale and Jeff Waterman. Chris Webb took the checkers in the stock car feature over Jason Cook and Matt Greiner.

Tri-City Speedway, Pontoon Beach, Ill.: Two-time Quincy track champ Michael Long won the UMP modified feature and Dustin Griffin was runner-up in the UMP Pro Crate late model main event. Ricky Frankel was third in the UMP late model feature behind Randy Korte and was second in the dash to Korte.

Callaway Raceway, Fulton, Mo.: Jake Griffin, who runs modifieds and non-IMCA late model events at Quincy, leads the limited late model points standings.

1. Mendon fan says:

Track was a mess. It was the right call. We’d have been there until 4 a.m. otherwise.

2. dirtboy says:

it rained. it happens. they tried, but couldn’t make it work. see ya next week.

3. Qcy Fan says:

wouldn’t you know the best night of the year weather-wise and we’d get rain … in the middle of a heatwave …. i think the bullring is cursed.

4. modness says:

michael was there to stop the streak!

5. Igor says:

LITTLE DELONJAY AND MICHAEL WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME. HOPEFULLY BOTH WILL BE THERE NEXT WEEK.

6. just me says:

Modness, Micheal was there to race “PERIOD”. I talked to one of the other Modified car owners, part of the Mendon Mafia, he informed me that they were there to win the race also. So I guess that make’s them a bad race team also. I love to watch Steven and Micheal both race and cheer for them and Jarod, so don’t start any crap about trying to stop or protect winning streaks. I think they call it racing for a reason…………………

7. just me says:

Micheal also won at I55 Saturday night. I was at Tri City and I 55 and he blew everybody away. His nickname at I55 was Micheal Money Man Long. The announcer at I 55 told the crowd if they want to put their money on who would win the race that they better put it on Micheal. Probably 5 or 6 of the drivers came over after the race and congratulated him and told him how clean of a race he runs.

8. smitty4446 says:

I was a little bummed about not racing tonight but not as much as my 5 year old son who lives for Sunday nights at “Quincy, Illinois Raceways”. Oh well, I promised him that I would take him to the Deery Brothers race in Knoxville, IA on Tuesday (Good Luck Justin Reed!).

By the way, good luck to Michael Long at the World Modified Dirt Track Championship at Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minnesota starting on Wed. of this week.

Bummer not be able to race, but how exciting all those haulers out in the grass. I just wanted to reach out and touch em. They’re so pretty. Hopefully the track this Sunday will be awesome since they got a nice head start on packing. Looking forward to next Sunday. Long and Delonjay battle hmm sounds intense. Yay!

10. fan222g says:

If Michael is going up to Deer Creek, how long does that run?? Will that run into the weekend as well?? If that’s the case, I doubt he runs Sunday night. JMO. But it was pretty cool having all the haulers pit out there. Most of the guys said they enjoyed that better than the dusty pits!!! I know the workers tried, but it would have turned into a crash fest. Honestly they should have just said not going to happen tonight and been done with it. But I do give them 5 thumbs up for giving it a shot and trying their best to get the show in. I heard one driver say,”That’s not near raceable.” The person that told me that said, if that guy said that then it must not be worth it. They go, he will race on anything, anytime. It must have been bad then!!!! Little Bailey said it was too rough to race. He comment was, “I want to have kids one day!!!!!!” Oh well it was a smart move and I hope that it don’t hurt them in the long run. Hope everyone comes back and supports them next week and till the end of the year.

11. JRB38 says:

Qcy Fan says:
    July 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm

There is a curse and I put it there…Jeff