Update on new qualifying format

August 24, 2012 10 Comments

OK, peace out, guys.

There WILL be a new — and it sounds like an exciting — qualifying format in place for Sunday night. I had to yank down Thursday’s information, because track ownership felt it still needed to tweak part of the rules package. To have left what would have been incomplete information would not have served any purpose.

I talked with track co-owner Paul Holtschlag Friday morning and he said the final package might not be announced until Sunday at the track, so don’t panic if you don’t see anything beforehand. The last month of the season will be used to get this new concept all in place, not only for the final weeks of this season but 2013 as well.

1. MAFIA BOSS says:

ALL CARS FOR EACH CLASS NEED TO BE IN THE INFIELD PRIOR TO THE FIRST CAR TAKING THE GREEN FLAG TO ELIMINATE CHANGES TO THE LATE QUALIFIERS SET UPS AS THE TRACK CHANGES. ARE YA GONNA SNIFF TIRES ? I HOPE SO. ALSO NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT 20′S ARNT JUICED TO 10′S OR LOWER……….

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA THAT SHOULD PROVE TO BE EXCITING.

2. Dave Moore says:

The only fair way to qualify cars is to run them all at the same time like the formula 1 cars do. the reason being track conditions are changing all the time and the first guy out may have a better track then the last guy out or vice versa. I ain’t bitchin just pointing out how conditions change. I personally like qualifing but through the years I’ve noticed it doesn’t mean a hole lot as the racers change set ups from qualifing to race conditions. On a one groove track it is benefical to qualify well because its so hard to pass but then the race is as much fun as watching paint dry. The fans will probably enjoy this format I know I will. I believe NASCAR has had only 1 car winning from the pole this year.

All I heard when they said (qualifying) was ” You don’t drink enough beer and that’s probably our fault. We’re sorry for rushing you but we’re rectifying that now. Sit back enjoy and maybe fix your nails and enjoy the show for the rest of the night girl we’re on island time”

did anyone else NOT understand JAF?

5. 7RACE says:

YES , I DID STEVE. IN THE CORRECT SENSE HE IS SAYING LETS SEE HOW LONG CAN WE CAN PROLONG THE PROGRAM FOR THE EVENING. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE WAY IT IS BEING DONE NOW PROVIDING YOU HAVE A RACE TRACK TO RACE ON, WHICH HAS NOT BEEN THE CASE FOR QUITE AWHILE NOW GIVE OR TAKE A NIGHT OR TWO. THEY NEED TO TAKE LESSONS FROM BOB SCOTT BUT THAT WOULD REQUIRE WORK DURING THE WEEK WHICH NOBODY WANTS TO DO. TRACK PREPARATION TAKES A LOT OF WORK WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT. YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR PASSION WHICH SEEMS TO LACK. STEVE,YOU HAVE DONE THE MATH AND WE ALL KNOW WHERE MOST OF THE WINNERS COME FROM.THAT IS THE FIRST TWO ROWS. THE TRACK MAYBE BE SMOOTH MOST OF THE TIME BUT NOT RACEABLE. FANS WANT TO SEE A TRACK WHERE IF A GOOD DRIVER IS IN THE BACK, HE AT LEAST HAS A CHANCE TO DRIVE TO THE FRONT. THAT CANNOT BE DONE UNDER THE CURRENT TRACK CONDITIONS. AN OLD SAYING ( WORK WORK WORK ALL WEEK LONG THIS IS HOW I GET THE JOB DONE ).

6. rizzle says:

I for one dont care what they do but do seem interested in this matter keep the fast cars up front the slow ones in the back the way UMP was meant to be. Its not IMCA where as you get a disadvantage in the heat and feature if your one of the faster cars. Im not slamming on the guys who dont run up front every week,but if you have the top 6 guys racing for postion the entire race it sounds fun to me,if you wanna get faster run with the best ( I know that last comment will fire this post up) but honestly in these days if ya wanna go fast and be up front your team has to spend the time and money to be up there dont race for start money, and if you are drop down a class and race to win not start. ok im done putting in my 2 cents so let the bashing begin about how I dont race there and im not fast and so on and so on.Always a good time regardless.

#2 Troy Grotz

7. FLYBY says:

ANYONE HERE ABOUT LAST YEARS UMP CRATE LATE MODEL NATIONAL CHAMPION ADMITTING TO CHEATING LAST YEAR???? DOPING TIRES!!!! HE CHEATED THE 2ND PLACE GUY OUT OF A CHAMPIONSHIP THATS NICE!!!! QUALIFYING WONT BE TOO BAD AS LONG AS THEY DONT MESS AROUND. THIS IS REPLACING HOT LAPS RIGHT????

8. Joe Boom says:

Not sure what racen ur watching huls starts in bacj dunker starts in back bacerra starts in back just sayn

HEY FLYBY – I CHECKED IT OUT FOR YA, I HEARD THE DRIVER WHO ENDED UP 2ND RAN TRACTION CONTROL AND THE 3RD PLACE DRIVER RAN AN UNSEALED CRATE ENGINE. DIDNT KNOW THAT WAS POSSIBLE, GUESS YOU WOULD KNOW MORE ABOUT THAT THAN ANY OF US DUMB RACERS.
    ANYWAY D GRIFF IS IN THE CLEAR YOU JUST OVER-ASSUMED TIRE PREP TO TIRE CONDITIONING

10. not35fan says:

How about draw when you get to the track how you finish in the heat is how you start in the amain get rid of this stupid draw redraw stuff y punish a heat race winner by watching him win then redraw a 12 4 the amain boy that makes a guy want to drive an hour or so to come back again ump ump ump some1 out there needs to get rid off the imca guys imca is dieing