Since two classes did not race on Sunday, movement was minimal from a week ago in The Dirty Thirty. There are four weeks left in the season, will Tony Dunker win his first-ever Dirty Thirty title, can Steven DeLonjay make it in a three championships in a row or could someone from the likes of Dave Wietholder, Denny Woodworth or possibly Mark Burgtorf, Jason Perry, Michael Long or Abe Huls run the table and make a case for No. 1?
For the racers who were not on the track Sunday night, we’ve offered some insight to what they might have been doing instead:
1. Tony Dunker: Since Tony and the sport mods had the night off, I’m pretty sure he was busy watching that Law and Order:SVU marathon. Tony’s always been a big fan of Mariska Hargitay.
2. Steven DeLonjay: How come when Steve-O finishes as “low” as third it seems like he had a bad night?
3. Dave Wietholder: Four weeks left, he’s 31 points behind No. 2 DeLonjay in the modified points race. It ain’t over, ’til it’s over.
4. Denny Woodworth: Speaking of math, Denny is 83 points ahead of Mark Burgtorf in the late model race. The most ground D.W. could lose in a week is 75 points — and that’s if he was not there. It ain’t over, but it’s close.
5. Mark Burgtorf: Lost in the Brandon Sheppard-Bobby Pierce battle first in Sunday night’s late model feature was Mark’s third-place run.
6. Jason Perry: Jason will not repeat as track champ, but could finish as high as fourth in points, which is pretty impressive considering all the time he missed for health reasons.
7. Michael Long: Michael is one half of the most exciting points battle remaining in the late model series. He’s just three points behind Burgtorf to see who likely finish runner-up to Woodworth in that class.
8. Abe Huls: With no stock cars racing Sunday, Abe was probably working on that chainsaw carving of chief steward Jake Croxton.
9. Tanner Klingele: Tanner and the rest of idle sport mod guys were rumored to have met at Jeff DeLonjay’s place for a game of Scrabble.
10. Brandon Savage: Brandon was reportedly helping Abe with that chainsaw carving.
11. Austen Becerera: A year ago, The Mighty Becerra won 10 of the final 12 sport compact races. This year’s stretch run might be even more impressive. He’s working on four straight wins going into next Sunday.
12. Ricky Frankel: A top-five points finish in his first full year at the Bullring is within reach.
13. Shawn Deering: Hopefully, that first victory on Aug. 18 didn’t use up all of Shawn’s luck for the rest of the year. The last two weeks have not been kind.
14. Terry Houston: On his off night Sunday, we hear Terry, Dave Moore and Jerry Jansen met over at Dave’s to watch a DVD history of GM racing.
15. Pat Dunker: As soon as Skipp was done racing Sunday night, he headed over to Tony’s for the Law and Order: SVU marathon.
16. Keith Pratt: Is it safe to say after a month that The Kool Kat has found a home in that modified? 2014 should be a tremendous shootout in that division.
17. Kim Abbott: Kim desperately needs to knock a point or two off The Mighty Becerra’s lead in the sport compacts.
18. Laine Van Zant: The sport compacts were Lightning-less Sunday night.
19. Jeff DeLonjay: Scrabble host of the year.
20. Jake Powers: Jake was likely catching up on those Duck Dynasty reruns Sunday night.
21. Clint Kirkham: Clint, was that you at Texas Roadhouse?
22. Chris Spalding: Hopefully, Chris can be a full-timer in 2014. He’s proven he’s one of the strongest in the mod class.
23. Adam Birck: Adam’s average finish the past four weeks: 5.3. Here’s another driver we hope is on hand from the first green flag in 2014.
24. Russ Coultas: Russ was MIA on Sunday.
25. Brad Holtmeyer: Brad and his dad, Mark, may have spent Sunday night planning for this winter’s snow-plowing business.
26. Robbie Reed: Despite missing some key weeks, Robbie could still wrangle a top-five points finish, which would be his first since 2007.
27. Jake Griffin: Jake is one of 10 drivers in the UMP era (since 2009) in the mod class to register 10 or more victories.
28. Mike Van Deriet: Another MIA on Sunday.
29. Jerry Jansen: I hear Jerry brought the pizza to Dave’s. (See No. 14.)
30. Charles Van Zant: Another Law and Order: SUV fan?