Will the real battle be for second?

February 26, 2014 9 Comments

21+3 logoUnlike most, I think the sport mods will provide an interesting points race this season at the Bullring.

For second place.

Sure, Tony Dunker is far and away the favorite to win the championship. Finishing first or second in 31 straight features will do that for a guy’s reputation.The law of percentages says that streak will likely end at some point this season, but Dunker’s streak of titles will probably remain intact. He is gunning for a third in a row.

Bobby Anders

Bobby Anders

But what about after him? That’s where it gets, as we said, interesting. There is the return of Bobby Anders, the continued development of guys like Jeff DeLonjay and Tanner Klingele and some young drivers like Brad Holtmeyer who look to have an outstanding future.

Here are my thoughts:

Champion: Tony Dunker. The only way he doesn’t win the title is if he drives backward, and then he’d probably finishs econd.

Runner-up: Bobby Anders. He has a lot to prove this season.

Third place: Jeff DeLonjay. I think Anders’ consistency earns him the edge for second.

SPORT MODS ALL-TIME RANKINGS (2012-13)
2011 “season” not included since it consisted of just four races

Drivers receive ranking points on a 15-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale for their position in the final top 10 points standing each season. Ties are broken by number of championships, second-place points finishes, top five points finishes, top 10 points finishes, etc.

1. Tony Dunker, 30 points (2 titles)
2. Tanner Klingele, 17
3. Charles Van Zandt, 13
4. Brad Holtmeyer, 13
5. Joe Bliven, 12
6. Bobby Anders, 10
7. Jeff DeLonjay, 6
8. Jon Lear, 5
9. Chandler Owens, 5
10. Nathan Anders, 3

Active drivers, minimum 2 points
Trevor Hagerbaumer, 2

RETIRED “B” MODIFIED RANKINGS (1993-2005)

1. Tony Dunker, 61 points (2 titles)
2. Lonnie Carter, 57 (2)
3. Bob Dale, 51
4. Greg Uppinghouse, 46 (2)
5. Gary Dreyer, 45 (2)
6. Kelly Bartz, 45 (1)
7. Wyatt Lantz, 40 (1)
8. Jim Leffew, 31
9. Jerry Poor, 29
10. Joe Hooper, 26

1. KENNY PRATT says:

STEVIE, WHERE DOES JOEY GOWER FIT INTO THE MIX ? IS HE GOING TO BE IN A SPORT MOD OR UMP MOD?

IF HE’S IN SPORT MODS YOU MIGHT NEED TO RE-THINK THE BLOG ABOVE AS CHUCK ANCEL IS ONE HECK OF A CHASSIE MAN.

KP SR.
    YEP YOU HAVE THE ###

KP,

I think Joey will be a force — but probably next year. I’m looking at 2014 as his learning curve, for whatever class he is in. I think that’s only fair.

3. showstopper says:

If Joey runs sportmods, I don’t think there will be much of a learning curve. He has a ton of experience in late models and I bet he will adapt quite well. Especially with Ancel as his crew chief. Anyone go to the meeting last Sunday? Any news out of that?

4. SKIPP says:

MOSTLY A MEET.N.GREET TYPE THING STOPPER … ME N SLIPP WENT DURING RAIN DELAY … NOT ALOTTA “OFFICIAL” STUFF THAT I NOTICED … BUT STILL A GOOD TIME
    IT WAS COOL OF THE MCCLEANS TO LET US IN EARLY
    GOOD MOVE BY LCP ALSO

5. Zero says:

I don’t think Joey Grower will have much a learning curve either if any. Just like Showstopper said he has plenty of experience behind wheel of Late models and did fairly well in them. Going to sports mod. is going to be simple step for a driver like Joey. Dunker mite have some competition deal with if Joey races QR. It mite be worth watching the sports mods after all.

WELL SHAME ON DIRTY STEVE. HEY KP SR MAYBE STEVE FORGOT JOEY WAS AN EX “LATE MODEL” DRIVER & SLIPPED HIS MIND WITH THE DOMINATION OF LATE MODEL DRIVERS THAT HAVE DROPPED DOWN IN THE PAST.
    AN EX MODIFIED CHAMPION & LATE MODEL CHAMPION HAD THIS EXACT EQUIPMENT (MINUS THE CRATE FROM WHAT I NOW HERE) & HE WON…I THINK..1 MMMMAYBE 2 FEATURES AT QUINCY. SO I WOULDNT PUT ALL UR MONEY ON THE BRONCOS…(WOOPS…SORRY SKIPP) EX LATE MODEL DRIVERS

SO HEY..YOU DO THE MATH & PLACE YOUR BETS.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, SOUNDS LIKE THE CAR COUNTS IN BOTH MOD CLASSES ARE ON THE RISE. HAVE A UMP MOD IN THE TEAM 3 RACECAR BODIES SHOP NOW FOR MR KALE FOSTER AND JUST CHECKED IN A MOTOR HERE AT TIMS OUT OF THE 82M MODIFIED (THAT OUTA MAKE TRAVIS (PREZ OF T.C.B.M) HAPPY….BAHAHAHA) OH WELL AT LEAST TRENT WILL HAVE FUN RACING WITH THE SPORTMODS.

TA-TA FOR NOW

WHEN YOU SAY “CHAMP” BECERRA SAYS…….”WHAT?”

#3

7. ruefus says:

Hay team four boss what does T.C.b.M stand for

8. Drone says:

Rufus I take a stab at that.

my s.w.a.g. is cry baby of the month.

Did I nail it dunk sr. ??

Drone is watching

AHHH…U NOTICE IT TOO HUH DRONE.

POOR GUY AINT NEVA HAPPY. I WISH HEDA BOUGHT THE TRACK. THEN ITD BE PERFECT.

#3