First practice at the Bullring on Sunday

March 25, 2014 15 Comments

LEFTa9cb9aab99b58578621cbcf6a61f858aGentlemen — and gentlewomen — get ready to start your engines.

The first practice of the preseason at Quincy Raceways is scheduled for 3-7 p.m. Sunday. More dates next will be added in the coming days.

Opening night at 8000 Broadway is April 6, with all five weekly racing series — late models, modifieds, sport mods, stock cars and sport compacts — scheduled for action.

1. 2ha says:

Were Was This At An Hour Ago Stevie

2ha,

Hey, I saw your question and called Kenny D.!!

3. Kenny Pratt says:

What are the plans for LM & MOD starting lineups ? Draw redraw , qualifying, passing points or something other ??

Please advise so we know what game to play.

Kenny Pratt
    you already have the ###-####

4. Kenny D says:

We are going to keep the formats the same for this season. I think there could be some better options long term but I think it’s important for us to first establish a relationship with our drivers and fans before changing the whole world and forcing tons of big changes down everyone’s throat.

Out of the things we feel are important to change in Quincy, the format isn’t the top 5…so it will wait until we know each other a little better and can discuss options together.

So the dice roll will return in 2014 as the Mark Twain Casino Lucky Roll.

QUALIFYING IT IS KP SR!! YOU GET THE PLAY THE SAME GAME AS LAST YEAR…DOMINATE THE HEAT FROM THE FRONT ROW & EARN A 7TH PLACE STARTING SPOT. LIL SLIP MITE THROW A WRENCH INTO IT BEING “EXACTLY” LIKE LAST YEAR, BEING A 3RD PLACE CAR & ALL, MAY PUSH EVERYONE BACK A SPOT OR TWO.

JUST CURIOUS…WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE DIFFERENT “IF” K DOBS REPLY WOULD HAVE BEEN …….HMMMMMM……SAY PASSING PTS???
    DIFERENT SET OF TIRES?..SET UP?

#3

6. Kenny Pratt says:

Im a big fan of draw for the heat and start where ya finish. With that said, in my humble opinion you MUST qualify where you draw. None of this (ill wait till last when the track comes in a lil) and run a great fast time lap.

Miss your spot and you start last in the last heat.

the ball is now in kd’s court to keep things on the up n up.

kp sr
    and yes yall known the ##

7. Kenny Pratt says:

And further, the reason I axed the original question was to see how to play the game. Who in the Sam Hell-tour….. wants to take a knife to a gun fight at the cathedral of calamity. ..

So, lets play by the rules n let the best man take the prom queen home.

Nuff fer now. .

KP SR
    # IS 697788
    yall fig that math out n call me

8. Kenny D says:

We will be issuing a rule detailing the consequence of missing your qualifying spot. We are internally debating two options, neither of which are good for the driver who missed their spot.

The rule for the person who doesn’t sign in and draw a pill or call prior to the close of registration is simple… start at the tail of your heat.

9. 2ha says:

same Format Boooooooooooo. Top 2 Out Of Heat make The Dash Like Any Other Ump Track. Any Body Can Get Lucky And Set A Fast Lap Make Them Work ForThe Dash Threw The Heat

10. Kenny Pratt says:

2ha….I agree 100 percent

11. Keith Pratt says:

I know a lot of guys who agree too. No way for a weekly show should 1 lap determine your whole night. That being said, I am not a fan of having to race heats, then a dash, and then feature. Not enough time for small crews to dial in a car between races

12. Kenny D says:

I’m a passing points guy myself but my affinity for passing points is more related to the fact it eliminates qualifying – which a lot of fans don’t like to watch more than an actual strong belief that passing points are more fair. We run 20+ passing points a year with our MOWA series and some nights it works out great and other nights it doesn’t. But at the end of the night after passing points in our heats and a dash to determine the first 3 rows of the feature, guess who usually starts on the front row of the feature? The fastest guys.

I totally understand the concept behind the format we have for UMP classes at Quincy. It comes from the camp where like in most any other form of racing the feature event starts with the fastest cars at the front. Think through every format that exists outside of an IMCA type system… from a progressive format to qualifying to passing points… what’s the object of all events prior to the feature? To determine who is fast and reward them with starting spots closer to the front than guys who weren’t fast.

The format at Quincy is just a different way of accomplishing the same result. The part that I don’t like about the Quincy format is that by placing all of the fast guys in the same heat you basically are just starting your feature earlier. The front of the feature races in the heat race and the tail of the feature races in a separate heat race or two. Then we take a break and come out and finish the race that started in the heat race. When you break out your fast cars into multiple heats you at least don’t see the two fastest cars on the track matching up until the feature.

But on the other hand, unless you don’t do an inversion, you will get guys tanking on purpose in their qualifying in order to start near the front. Or, in cases where you get your time back you see guys not racing hard in the heats, knowing their starting spot in the feature is secure based on their qualifying time. Or there are those cases where you invert the 6 fastest cars and take the top 4 from the heats to the feature and suddenly the heat race track is hammer down with no passing and the fastest car on the track didn’t have a chance to pass any cars.

A lot of times with passing points the most common factor in deciding where you start your feature is if you were lucky enough to get in the heat race that had a lot of crashes. Start at the rear of an 8 car heat and get 4 cars to drop out and you have yourself a really nice feature starting spot. That’s not too fair either.

You name the system and I’d be happy to point out the problems with it. The one we have might not be the best system in the world, but it for sure isn’t the worst either.

13. Keith Pratt says:

Over the last 2 seasons I have unfortunately spent too many Sunday nights on the wrong side of the racetrack. I can tell you that with this format(mods and LMs) the racing is horrible to watch. Maybe we were spoiled by watching the 8-12 place starters win every night in IMCA.

If I had to keep this same format, I’d drop the dashes and split the fast cars into the heats. I’d guess that there are only a few people(fans included) who like this format as is. A lot of races are decided on the 1st 2 laps.

All JMO, I’ll be there either way!

14. 2ha says:

I Agree With KP The Racing The Last Two Years have Been Horrible And The Crowd Shows It No Crowd No TracK. I Say Different Format Or It Will Be The Same old Boring Racing. But Like KP Said I’ll Bee There Either Way Just Don’t Agree With How They Line The Two Main Classes Up.

15. Boyd Crowder says:

2ha,

gotta disagree with you … it wasn’t horrible racing that was the cause of the low crowd counts — infact the racing was usually darn good … it was things like the high prices at the concession stand in which the food was often cold and management that just didn’t seem to care much of the time … there seems to be an excitement around the track that hasn’t been there for a long time and i’m anxious to see what happens this season.

see you at practice tonight!!!!