Steven DeLonjay: Fo’ Fo’ Fo’ Fo’ — ?

March 3, 2014 26 Comments

21+3 logoFor those race fans who do not follow the NBA, just hang with me on this one for a minute.

For those fans who do follow the NBA, I think you will appreciate this reach.

From 1980 to 1988 the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers won every NBA title except one.  The lone exception was the Philadelphia 76ers of 1983. In 1980 and 1982 the Sixers lost to the Lakers in the NBA Finals. In 1981 the team was eliminated by the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals.  Despite this history, at the onset of the 1983 playoffs, Moses Malone of the 76ers was so confident his team would win the title that he uttered the famous “Fo’-Fo’-Fo’” prediction, meaning the Sixers would sweep all three playoff series in four games.

mosesMalone was close, real close. The Sixers lost just one game en route to the NBA championship.

Quincy Raceways modified driver Steven DeLonjay is on the verge of his own “Fo’” thing. Another track title in 2014 will give Hank the Crank’s son a “Fo’, Fo’, Fo’, Fo’” — four straight UMP modified track championships.

Can he do it? Or rather, will he do it? Here’s my prediction — and it has not changed since the last time we did this in November:

Champion: Steven DeLonjay. Here is the list of other drivers in QR history to win or more consecutive titles: Mark Burgtorf, Steve Fraise, Hank DeLonjay. Hate him if you must, but give the boy his due. He is good. Real good.

Steven DeLonjay

Steven DeLonjay

Runner-up: Dave Wietholder. We sometimes forget how good No. 05 is because he has spent most of his career chasing either DeLonjay or Michael Long — but this guys is the No. 6 ranked driver in the overall modified rankings (see below) and No. 2 in the UMP era.

Third place: Michael Long. Admit it, you’re hoping Michael commits full-time to the Bullring and goes mano a mano against the youngest DeLonjay.

UMP MODIFIEDS ALL-TIME RANKINGS (2009-13)

Drivers receive ranking points on a 15-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale for their position in the final top 10 points standing each season. Ties are broken by number of championships, second-place points finishes, top five points finishes, top 10 points finishes, etc.

1. Steven DeLonjay, 63 points (3 titles)
2. Dave Wietholder, 38
3. Jared Schlipman, 37 (1)
4. Shawn Deering, 31

Donovan Lodge, 7
Vance Wilson, 7
James Leffew, 4
Trent Grotz, 3
Chris Spalding, 3
Adam Birck, 1

ALL MODIFIEDS ALL-TIME RANKINGS (1987-2013)

1. Hank DeLonjay, 220 points (10 titles)
2. Tony Dunker, 140 (4)
3. Michael Long, 99 (2)
4. Sam Burgtorf, 81 (3)
5. Steven DeLonjay, 71 (3)
6. Dave Wietholder, 69
7. Lonnie Carter, 57 (2)
8. Vance Wilson, 56 (1)
9. Kelly Bartz, 55 (1)
10. Mike Karhoff, 55

Other active drivers, minimum 10 points
Shawn Deering, 44
Robbie Reed, 43 (1)
Jake Griffin, 18
Bobby Anders, 10

RETIRED “A” MODIFIED RANKINGS (1988-2005)

1. Hank DeLonjay, 200 points (10 titles)
2. Sam Burgtorf, 81 (3)
3. Mike Karhoff, 55
4. Michael Long, 48 (2)
5. Vance Wilson, 46 (1)
6. Mark Van Winkle, 39 (1)
7. Darin Walker, 35 (1)
8. Brandon Brown, 35
9. Jeff Waggoner, 32
10. Gary Wilson, 30

1. 35modfan4life says:

yep u said it stevie dirt like him or not the kid is good and deserves all the props for it. I know a lot of it would not happen if it wasn’t for the man who sets the car up good ole hank the crank. spending a lot of week nights in the shop working on the car cleaning it and tuning it to par. so with that kinda team u can compare them to jimmie Johnson and chad knaus enough said.

2. SKIPP says:

SSOOOOO….. MY PAL WAS WHININ …. AND I THINK I EVEN SAW A TEER … : , (
    SO …. HERE GOES …..
    WHAT
    ABOUT
    SLIPPY
    ????????
    WHEN SUMBODY SAYS “BEER” …. OUR LIVERS TWITCH
    MENDON MAFIA

3. 35 hater#1 says:

1 vote for the nots. they cheat more than the 48 team. Maybe old hank can get that car to run on 8 cyclinders this year instead of 6 or seven . Never seen a car so fast that sounded so off maybe joe should take a closer look this year so everybody else has a chance.hey joe start with that big blue (stop watch gadget).

4. ruefus says:

Well maybe sents we got a new guy making the calls he won’t b able to get away with his dirt driving this year

5. DRONE says:

THE OFF SOUND IS THE TRACTION CONTROLE KICKING IN AND OUT. A FORMER TRACK OWNER (I’LL LEAVE HIM NAMELESS) TOLD A TEAM OWNER MORE THAN ONCE TO GET IT OUT OF THE CAR.

DRONE IS WATCHING AND LISTENING TO A T/C WHEN THE CAR IT’S IN DRIVES OUT OF THE CORNER

6. KENNY PRATT says:

I was waiting for somone to bite before i jumped on this one.

I fully agree that Steven Dirt is correct that one of his three picks may be crowned Champion (ump mod) in 2014. Those three drivers have the best combined “statistical” records going for them and all three deserve credit where it is due.

HOWEVER: my buddy Skipp is correct. There are three others that will be HOT on their heals.

16 Deering: has a brand new Long chassie and has gotten the Monkey off his back with last years victory.

42 Lil Schlip: a former ump-mod champion. he’s coming back to where he cut his teeth and will be a solid threat from the git go.

33 Pratt: 12 years of late-model racing and 6 out of 7 heat wins late in the season is a huge momentum builder for 2014.

Kenny Pratt
    205 ash st.
    ursa ill
    217-430-1061

7. Dirt Wizard says:

First off Stevie is fully correct. 42 won track championship when long missed 2 weeks. And that was what?? 2010. Past is the past. And Kenny Pratt…. U still on this 33 thing? What’s late model experience have to do with a modified. Ask 42 that ?… As far as 33..Outside of the fast 6 Dunker could win one of those heats in his sportmod. Not impressed. And his late in the year runs were so to several wrecks that enabled him to do a basic drivers education class to the front 3.

Dirt Wizard is back… 33.. Grab a beer and save ur money.

8. 35modfan4life says:

well I agree with u mr pratt the 33 car came a long way last year in the short time he ran the mod. it is going to be anyones championship this year. yes im a 35 fan and will be for life but he has to run good all year long and who’s to say he will. as for the traction control u are correct its in the car its on the drivers foot as he presses the gas. and as for the wreckless driving we will see how it goes this year. im excited cant wait to get the season started and enjoy the ole dirt flying and cold beer getting drank. see u all at the mall show

9. fan418 says:

I think you have left one name out…..Michael Long.

10. Just thinking out loud says:

Come on ML(#18)fan read the article… Or at least check out the BOLD points.. Steven, Dave, AND Michael were mentioned… You’re welcome

11. Zero says:

Drone you are full of it. I hate it when someone gets on here and just makes up crap and just bashes a driver for his talent and wins that he has earned. I was Columbia Mo. over the week for business and ran into a guy and we got to talking about Ump modified racing and I told him I go to Quincy Raceways every week and watch and his first response that came out of his mouth was, (when the 18L comes to his local track he shows them all how its done and including 05, and the 35 showing everyone else up. He said those guys are so much faster and just kicks every ones butt. He also said when they show up its those guys racing each other for win and its kind of neat to see far out town racers going from the win against each other.

So wouldn’t you think as much as #35 has won in the last 3 years, that they would have caught the tractor control device. With Steven beating #18L and #05 as many times as he has. I would say if any of those guys even excepted that the #35 had traction control they would have been all over that car.

I say if the 18L runs full time this year in his mod and plays his cards right its going to be very interesting season. I think the season will end up like this. 1st (18L), 2nd (35), 3rd (05), 4th (42), 5th (16), 6th (33).

Gosh, I have missed all this… bring on the race season and let the racing do the talking. I hate when the word “cheating” gets tossed around, pretty sure all the “greats” have been accused of it every now and then. Im all for lil D but would love to see Deering take 2014 by storm!

13. showstopper says:

Good point GMF. A lot of the great ones have been accused. One of QR’s all time greats was accused and caught red handed by IMCA. How many races and championships did the #7 win before he was finally caught? His records should be thought of the same way as Barry Bonds records in baseball. As for the #35, UMP doesn’t have a good reputation of teching very closely. Hope the new tech man changes this. Glad to see him teching instead of preparing a racetrack!

IF YA CANT BEAT EM…CALL EM CHEATERS…THATS CLASSY.
    DO YOUR HOMEWORK & RACE. HES THE KING OF THE FAST DASH & STARTS ON THE POLE..HECK YEA HES HARD TO BEAT.
    THERES THE FAST 6 AND THE SLOW 12 IN THIS MIX.

GOOD LUCK TO THE CONSISTANT FRONT RUNNERS DOIN THE SLICIN N DICIN & PUT ON THE SHOW.

IM CALLIN 35 18L 05 & 16 (DEERING & GRIFFAW) ARE VICKY LANE VISITORS THIS YEAR
    THATS ALL

#3

CALL KENNY…IM BUSY

15. 42 says:

Thanks pal… I think anders is gunna win all the races in the sport mods

I’m doin homework

Call Bone

BUT..BUT..BUT SLIP..GOWER IS AN EX LATE MODEL DRIVER…AND YOU PICK ANDERS?

IMA FOLLOW KP SR’S PHILOSOPHY..IMA FIND AN EX LATE MODEL DRIVER TO DRIVE THE 3 CAR

#3

DONT CALL…I WONT ANSWER

17. SKIPP says:

42 DOIN HOMEWORK
    BONE IS BUSY
    KP PHONE IS OFF CUZ HE’S AFRAID DOTTY WILL GPS IT …
    SO , HERE I AM , LEFT WITH HANDS IN MY POCKETS , KICKIN THE SAND ….

MAYBE DIRTWIZARD WILL BE MY PAL ….

SKIPP
    867-5309

18. 43 says:

In that case… I’ll take Bo Jangals

I called bone

He answered

19. 42 says:

I’ll take your advice…. Ima take Bo Jangles

I called Bone

He answered

20. 2ha says:

This Site Has More Drama Then A Couple 12 Year Olds ………..Don’t Call Me I Don’t No Nothing.

21. Dirt Wizard says:

How many times will the team 3 (sportmod)change motors after tech this year. Hmmmmmm…. And skipp I’ll be ur buddy… But u better stick to 4 bangers and win a few. That sport mod u drove was making me worry about my boys when u became lap traffic. And why won’t 33 and number given Kenny Pratt at least try to defend his terrible driving skills????

Dirt Wizard
    Gimme call Kenny… If u can catch up to me.

22. showstopper says:

Dirt Wizard reminds me of my ol pal Flyby. He calls them like he sees them. Talked to Flyby yesterday. He’s doing well. Says he will be back on here when Dunker boys start making a (donkey) of themselves. Says it won’t take long for that to happen!

23. just a racefan says:

QUESTION: WHY DON’T YOU ALL JUST GET A LIFE AND QUIT BASHING DRIVERS PERIOD! IT GETS REAL OLD THAT THERE SEEMS TO HARDLY BE ANYTHING POSITIVE ON HERE AS FAR AS COMMENTS GOES. I FEEL LIKE STEVIE TAKES A LOT OF TIME OUT OF HIS DAY TO MAKE THIS BLOG POSITIVE ONLY TO BE COMMENTED ON BY A BUNCH OF DEGRADING PEOPLE. I DON’T UNDERSTAND IT. THERE IS A REASON THAT QUINCY RACEWAYS IS FULL OF DRAMA AND IS BC OF NEGATIVE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY! DIDNT YOUR MOMMA EVER TEACH YOU IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT?? SERIOUSLY IT GETS OLD TO SEE STEVIES HARD WORK OF THIS BLOG AND IT GOES TO CRAP B/C OF THE COMMENTS.

24. chuck ancell says:

i tried to find a x winston cup driver but rusty wallace would not answer my phone calls

WELL DIRT WIZARD..WE HAVE 2 CHOICES ON MOTORS. #1 WIN BY A LIL BIT OR #2 HOLY CRAP HOLD ON! FRESH OUTA N.C
    YOU JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANNA SEE WEEK TO WEEK

SKIPP WILL FARE WELL…HELL 1/3 OF THE TOP 3 CARS IN THAT CLASS ARE GIRLS

ANY QUESTIONS?….CALL KP SR…HE’LL TEXT SKIP…SKIP WILL TELL SAPPP….& I WILL…NOT ANSWER…STILL

#3

26. NAS-T says:

Just a racefan, Stevie isn’t working hard because no one has to use their real name. A lot of people just like to bitch under an assumed name. Racing is a love hate deal anyway. You either love the driver or you hate them. That’s the way it is and that’s the way will stay.